Another Vy post, but a good question

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bored1, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Just an interesting stat. Last year we were 4th in the league in time of possession, this year we're 20th. As much as turnovers hurt last year the biggest problem was redzone offense. Last year through week 15 we had been in the red zone 7 more times than this year but we had scored 9 less tds. Vince was good for a turnover a game but our offense I believe was more jeff fisher-like last year.

2. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Vince was sacked 30 times in 2007, while Kerry only 8 this year. It's clear which knows when it's time to throw the ball away rather than take a 6-8 yard loss. The clock continues to run (time of possession increases) for Vince, and it stops for Kerry's incompletions.

So yeah, i can see how we would have a higher time of possession with 22 more sacks allowed in 2007.

Look, I've bashed Vince probably more than he deserves, but seeing this team so close to dominant in 2007 made me sick, it made me sick for our defense to play so well and get no reward for that - and the QB position was what kept us down imo. Now with an average at best QB, we have the best record in the league.

We can go back and forth picking out stats that back our positions, and ultimately no one is gonna change their beliefs until he steps on the field again. I hope I'm wrong about him. I hope Vince is soaking up all the knowledge, working on his delivery and accuracy right now as well as in the off-season. And most importantly, I hope his decision making abilities improve.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Do you not think the addition of a good offensive coordinator and a pro bowl running back had anything to do with the better record?

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I have been seeing a lot of negative remarks lately about our offensive playcalling. Haven't you? Chris Johnson, good, not nearly as explosive as we all thought, can't break one tackle, and has like 3 catches for 3 yards on the year.

5. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I haven't seen nearly as much complaints about play-calling as last year. He has 260 yards receiving on the year. And it's not just about him as a receiver but his ability to keep defenses honest. Last year we had no threat to break a long run.

6. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Last year we had no threat offensively at all....anyone who thinks the addition of CJ hasnt helped produce the record we have, is blind.

Sometimes the playcalling is spot on, and sometimes its in the wrong stadium. Probably is, Titans have yet to have that perfect offensive game(Detroit does not count) where Passing and Running work on all aspects.

Hopefully sunday is the game where Fisher and Dinger unleash new offensive schemes...if any game mattered this season its this one.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

This just isn't accurate. I agree with some of your criticisms, but you take it too far and ruin your point.

In the second Houston game (where Young was playing), he definitely won us the game when our run game was shut down.

He certainly had some decent moments, it's a little silly to say that EVERY game he looked terrible.

8. Mr.biggums

Mr.biggums Special Teams Standout

Usually when it comes to breaking tackles, it means you couldn't simply outrun the competition....and we all know CJ can't run:rolleyes:.....come on kid, quit trying to downplay the significance of CJ in the backfield.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Ok, I may have exaggerated. But honestly, CJ has broken two long TD runs against the two worst rush D's in the league. I really haven't seen much as far as ability to make people miss or break tackles, other than flat out speed. The significance of CJ has been non-existant as a reciever out of the backfield, we have absolutely no screen game and he hasn't done much once catching the ball. We can say this may be a scheme thing, but Slaton and Forte have been better.

Our offense may be terrible without CJ, but it doesn't seem like anyone is scared of him except for the announcers.

10. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

And just how many long td runs have you seen out of any rb this year? Simply just from highlights over the weekends....I cant remember too many rb's taking it to the house for long runs. Felix Jones, White, CJ, Leon, maybe Peterson, dont know who else I might be missing...and all those guys have atleast one over 40 yds.

And as far as making people miss...Im actually glad CJ is running the way he is, and not trying to dance around and make moves like Bush has done since his rookie year. Running tackle to tackle and getting long TD runs out of it isnt exactly easy, specially when they put 8 in the box.

The screen plays, and backfield passes your right we havent seen much of that at all....I just hope it is because of the play calling and maybe Fisher not wanting to pull out the whole playbook yet. If there was ever a week for Fisher to unlock some secret plays...this is it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar