Another self-absorbed victim of social media

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avvie, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Need the goTitans points, otherwise I wouldn't waste my fingers time writing this..

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

one day when we all have brain tumors and testicular cancer from leaving them in our pockets, the "Cave Dwellers" that didn't ever get a cell phone will be the smartest people around.

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Believe it or not, this thread was actually football-related.

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Pretty crappy way to stand behind your decision. No wonder UCLA never amounts to anything in football...

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's a pretty sad indication on society if that is true. I wish I never joined facebook or got into MSN when it became big during high school.

6. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Said it before.. but no matter what your feelings on tech these days, I think everyone could benefit from watching "Disconnected".. it's on Hulu for free..

And I echoed your thoughts even before I watched that documentary.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

8. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

The irony that y'all are lamenting the influence of technology on an Internet message board is not lost on me.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Message boards are different IMO than social media forms like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace. The latter are focused on egocentric displays of a person rather than a true exchange of ideas. Message boards conversely (IMO :) ) are more like an old fashioned "speak-easy" or "coffee shop" where people to exchange ideas usually in ANONYMITY.

I have often liked Facebook to "Gossip on Steroids". That sentiment draws the ire from my children, my colleagues and my wife. I'll never have a Facebook account. My stepdad has one and he loves it. His reasoning is that it is important to keep tabs on "the grandchildren". I can't argue with that though I hear he does post "his mood" often or some such fiddle-faddle and rot. I've also noticed the girls at work ridicule old high school classmates trolling for tuna with friend requests. They are making fun of the guys, but boy do they go giddy-abuzz with each "friend request".

Yes- my resistance to Facebook is self righteous indignation but I'm just old fashioned in Stoicism.

10. Brandon

Brandon Camp Fodder

Facebook is great because now my mom can see when girls post on my wall about the great time we had...

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar