Another self-absorbed victim of social media

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by avvie, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith LET'S GO PREDATORS!!!!

Social media, including text messaging, and even message boards, to an extent, are leading to the unraveling of society as we know it.

People are too cowardly to talk face to face. Everyone is on an electronic leash. There is no "alone" anymore. If someone wants to reach you, you are reached. If you didn't answer the phone, you are seen as ignoring someone. I miss the days of checking an answering machine to see who wanted to reach you.

Sure, Cell phones have saved lives in emergency situations... They have caused plenty of emergency situations as well.

There is no silence anymore, there is no solitude. There is no privacy. God bless us and our glorious technology.
    • High Five High Five x 4
  3. SchindlersFist

SchindlersFist Camp Fodder

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Old Man Tip Jar Donor

Most of this I heard from a comic and I'm not funny so I'm just going to relate it...

It's amazing how much we (as a society) were just totally willing to give up our privacy. I mean, the FBI doesn't need a file on me anymore. They can go to my facebook and see my family, my friends, my address, photo's of me getting wasted, etc.

I also hate how it's near impossible to go on a vacation anymore. I remember how awesome it was to go to spring break at 16 and my parents had the phone to the condo where I was staying for emergency. I couldn't be contacted 24/7 by any and every single person that had my number. Heck I'd just like to go to Vegas once without getting a text or a call to meet someone in nashville somewhere for food or drink.
  5. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

You could always just turn the phone off, or, GASP, not take it with you.

I love it when one of my friends leaves their phone in the car when we get something for lunch. God forbid they go an hour without it.
  6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Old Man Tip Jar Donor

Yeah but that would be the time I actually needed it and one of my family would end up in the hospital or something.

I resisted joining facebook until last year and only did so because my friend's wife said women will think I'm weird for being single and not having a facebook.
  7. CRUDS

CRUDS El Diablo Tip Jar Donor

I WISH I could turn the damn thing off or just leave it behind.. Alas, the ol lady would kill me - and the business requires it. I enjoy the spoils of technological advancement on my own terms, it's the rest of the day that I would love to smash all this stuff.
  8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I work in the internet world so I'm wired to technology. Have to talk to my investor daily, my employees daily, shoot e-mails daily.

I hate my availability. These boards are a breath of fresh air when Creeping Cruds and Alex aren't stalking me.
  9. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

I'd love to turn off/tune out, but the mortgage must get paid......Unfortunately, I have a company issued Iphone just so that they have 24/7 access. Damn thing syncs with e-mail, gps, everything......Big Brother is watching.

On topic, as a USC fan, Rocky Seto would've been great for the Bruins. Continued suckage!
  10. CRUDS

CRUDS El Diablo Tip Jar Donor

Says the one who posts here right after Cruds and Alex..
    • High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.