Another Florida TE

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Kid is way too light there is no chance we would use a high pick on him. Fisher doesn't like that type of TE..

2. Sannyasin

Sannyasin Guest

Fisher doesn't know how how to run a legit NFL offense; one that looks to score and win games rather than just stall.

Although I think Ingram and Tamme would be very effective for us, Fisher likely wouldn't know what to do with them. I'm not sure the TE Fisher needs is in this draft actually.

To me, what is so freaking hard to learn about blocking?

3. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I beg to differ on your TE point, Sannyasin. Carlson and Davis fit our scheme fine, Carlson more so. The positives for Carlson is he's more the "complete" TE. However, he didn't look very good this year in the receiving aspect due to lousy and erratic QB play. Davis, on the other hand, does both blocking and receiving, but excels more in the receiving aspect. But don't be fooled, he can block too. IMO Carlson has the opportunity to be a Heath Miller type, where Davis could be a poor man's Antonio Gates. Pending on their combine scores, Davis would be the more likely of the two to warrant a first round pick. Carlson, due to his poor showing this year will be at most a 2nd rounder, but like I said it all will come down to the combine.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

It's not just learning. If I could learn it, I'd love to make the league minimum just to be a blocking TE. Size, strength, leverage, effort....it's a combination of things.

The league looks to be going towards more of a receiving type TE, but this offense needs a guy who is not a liability as a blocker. That's why I think about half of these TE's being mentioned won't be strongly considered by our front office.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

That is like saying what is so hard to learn about playing any position. This is the NFL and not pee wee. The guy you are trying to block is what is hard about blocking. If you don't have the proper leverage, footwork and technique a big strong guy can get knocked on his arse or watch the LB blow by him. A 235 pound guy can really have problems. It isn't as easy as it looks to do it properly. That is why you want any TE we bring in to atleast look like a decent blocker on the college level because in the NFL he is going to have his hands full. IMO how well the TEs block in our offense is as important as how well our OL blocks. If the TEs don't do their job the running game goes to crap in a hurry.

6. Sannyasin

Sannyasin Guest

blocking for a tight end is nowhere near as hard as being an offensive tackle. Your job is just to drive the guy inside of you to the inside. Troupe couldn't do it, granted, but he couldn't do anything right.

Yes, there is technique involved. Yes, there is effort involved. Yes, there is size and strength involved. However, it can be learned much easier than developing good hands, how to make sharp cuts out of your breaks as a receiver, identifying a hole in a zone, etc. I'm just saying, it is easier to teach a receiver to block than a blocker to receive.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Wow. Are you serious?

Just one question. If we are playing a 3-4 defense and the TE is lined up outside the RT, according to your synopsis, the TE needs to help the RT pick up the LDE. Just let me know who has to block Shaun Phillips coming off the edge?

And if it so easy, feel free to invite over any NFL OLB and give him 5-10 metres of running to build up momentum and try and block him.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

We need a balanced TE. We failed to make Troupe a good blocker, and blocking is asked from our TE's a lot. I don't want to see our run game suffer because suffer because of a vad blocker out there.

There are guys out there who are more balanced, less likely imo to be bad blockers. I would rather look at those guys than a lot of these 230 lb guys who were hardly ever asked to block in their college schemes. Not saying these guys will always be bad blockers, but it's still more of a risk, especially for this offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar