And the game ball goes to....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

Personally I do agree with everything you are saying in regards to his holding out costing the Titans the game. However, CJ's holdout had little to do with greed and had more to do with wanting to be financially secure.

Whether people like or not, agree with it or not, pro athletes market value is far above what the average person (who is probably more deserving) earns. Not saying you personally fall in this group, but I see it repeated over and over again on this forum!

My thoughts on this topic are that we live during a time where it's accepted that after a divorce the primary bread winner is exposed to paying not only child support but also SPOUSAL SUPPORT. This is understood and accepted by most. With that being said, the reason child/spousal support exist is to ensure that ex-wives/husbands and children can maintain the lifestyle they've become accustomed to. Chances are they may never be able to experience that lifestyle in which they are leaving without the support of their significant other again.

In this case, CJ's significant other is the Titans. The Titans can cut/release CJ at any time for any number of reasons and the team has ZERO obligation to support him afterwards. Taking into consideration the limited life expectancy of a NFL RB, he needs to ensure he's earning fair market value to secure his financial future because any snap can be his LAST. When his last down is played in the NFL his life will drastically change if he's not financially stable and secured for the long haul.

With that being said, I have no problem with him holding out to get paid fair value. Especially when you consider the fact that the Titans are building a reputation for not taking care of their own. I think it's very unfortunate week 1 turned out the way it did, but I honestly wasn't expecting much from him this week in absence of the off season that was compounded by his holdout.

Furthermore, I also believe CJ's holdout was not entirely his fault (albeit his choice). When a team refuses to pay a player whom grossly out performed their ROOKIE contract (the second contract was no new money, they only shifted existing money already promised due to CBA restrictions) what other alternatives does a player has other than with holding services? Whether you ethically agree with it or not, we all know he was under contract, it is his right and the only leverage he has. NFL front offices are one of the biggest hypocrisies in regards to contracts IMO. Teams do not honor contracts yet they want players to.

Personally, I think the performance of the team in week 1 has just as much to do with the FO as it does CJ. Yes CJ held out and it could have been the reason we lost the game. However, he held out because the team refused to pay him when they known for 2 years the kind of money he was asking for. IMO there was no reason when the lockout ended his holdout should have lasted as long as it did and should have started negotiations a long time ago. The cards worked out a trade AND contract with Kolb before the lockout even started! So yes, I think our FO is equally to blame.

So yes, I agree with his holdout possibly being the reason for the loss. However, I do not think his hold out was due to greed but more so to him wanting be secure a financial future post a potentially limited NFL career.

With all that being said where does that leave us? It's no point in arguing over a game that was ALREADY lost! We can bicker and point the finger all we want but that's not going to change the fact that we are in fact starting the season 0 and 1. So all we can as fans is support the team and hope/pray the team learns from this game and correct their mistakes or else this is going to be a very very VERY long season.

P.S. I'm sure my perspective on CJ's holdout are going to get me a few it sucks, but it is what it is.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

We also couldn't keep our offense on the field. How many 3 and outs did the Jags get?

It's hard for me to blame the defense much when they only allowed 1TD at the beginning of the game despite spending the majority of the game on the field.

Personally, I don't see why CJ started. He was obviously not ready. Harper would have done better than him.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Harper would be a better starter at any time.

Scatbacks have their place, but that is not as an every down starter.

4. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

Just because CJ is fast doesn't mean he's a scatback, because I personally don't think he's not a scatback.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

agreed, a scatback can turn the corner

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

[​IMG]
    "Everyone relax titans will be ok it's only week one" - ChrisJohnson28

7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

CJ who dat :lol:

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

No "sucks" from over here, you're post is 100000% on point. Preach!

9. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Harper did fine when they let him have it, and didn't run a screen backward unless I just missed it.

10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

you "it sucks" without giving any reasoning a 2 page post that was 100% on point and then respond with another "clever" one liner...Classic GoT, never adds anything to a debate..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar