An Awesome Post From TitansCentral

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansJonne, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I was going to say the exact same thing except I'll add that a solid defense is also a must.

I think Fisher has two Super Bowl wins under his belt if he has Manning instead of McNair/Collins/Young.

As solid as the Colts have been, they have only one Super Bowl win with probably the best QB in the history of the game.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

There's no guarantee that having the likes of Manning or Brady would win you a SB.

You have to have a combination of good coaches,GM and the rare archetypical franchise QB.

Do you think Al Davis would win with Payton Manning?

We were fortunate to have McNair,George,Mason and Wycheck together for so long.

It allowed us to draft stars like Kearse,Rolle,Bulluck and Haynesworth at other positions. Since then we've constantly been in a state of flux. Our offence just might be set for a run now but our defence is a mess.

The Colts have been on the limit of their cap for years. They've had the luxury of Manning being so good for so long that they've been able to repeatedly invest in a few core players to rival fans amazement.

They have spent most of their money on the Offence because Manning is their bread and butter.

Outside of Freeney & Sanders their defence has no high priced stars. They have a defensive scheme in place that allows them to keep finding budget talent to replace players who they can't afford to resign.

They draft very well. When was the last time the Colts brought in a high priced free agent? I can think of one in the last decade,Vinatieri and he didn't exactly break the bank.

They seem to be able to lose coaches without missing a beat too.

Our defensive scheme is built around a dominant interior line. Without it as we've seen this year and before, our whole defence suffers. We can't just plug guys in and no matter where you draft, the kind of defensive tackles that we need are hard to find.

The Colts suck but it's hard not to respect the way their organisation is run.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Colts do three things very well.
    1. The have a proven scheme on offense and defense and
    2. they find the guys that fit their scheme very well.
    3. They coach the guys up to play the schemes well

Although the Titans have some similarity of scheme on defense there is something seriously wrong with the coaching. The Colts can lose starting CBs and Ss to injury and still play at a high level. The Titans on the other hand lose one good guy and the flipping world starts to fall apart. Lose two guys and the derense is like a Jr. College.

Things are a little better on offense now with Dinger but we still have plenty of stupidity by the HC, like not calling time in the Miami game. Fisher's ridiclous mentality to play not to lose is contagious and IMO effects the killer instinct the team should have. Fisher also continues to insist on playing inferior players at times.

Now I do think we would be better with a guy like Manning or Brady but I also don't think Fisher would ever use the guy to the best of his ability. I could see Manning being a decent Qb for the Titans but no way he cashes in on all those NFL passing records. So I agree with Childress, having one of those guys wouldn't assure anything. Fisher would probably have a personality conflict with Manning and trade the guy anyway.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yes they do, absolutely. When they need a left tackle they draft one. When they lose people to injury or the cap they always have a guy.

Every one of the top players on their roster was drafted by Bill Polian. Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Freeney, Mathis. He drafted bob sanders in rd 2.

When Doss went down Bethea a 5th rd pick becomes a starter as a rookie.

They have played all year with rookies at CB. Imagine our 2 rookies mccourtney and mouton playing all year. We don't have to imagine we saw what happened. 59 points!

Manning can't play defense and manning can't block for himself.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Warren Moon threw for over 3500 yards 6 times and over 4000 yards 4 times. How many rings does he have?

Again the years were we threw the ball the most were Jeff Fisher's 2 worst seasons in 04 and 05. We had a 54% pass 46% run play mix those 2 years.

Fisher brought in the best o-coordinator in college football to give us a dynamic west coast type passing attack. Did not work.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How many of you remember the colts running the ball 40 times in that super bowl win vs the bears?

Addai 21 carries.

Rhodes 19 carries.

They had 2 more running plays than pass attempts.

7. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

dude....you have the throw the ball when you are behind....so of course our worst seasons will show we passed more.....cuz we were mostly losing haha

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's the whole point, but in 2 of our successful years we did throw it more than we ran. In 1999 and 2003.

9. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

pass to score and run to win, simply put, but if you fall behind running the ball becomes hurtful because u need to the clock on your side. balance is key and a few more rushes than passes or vice versa wont make a difference. This is the key reason the saints are loosing games now, they are making some many more pass attempts and they are not showing a balanced offense. gotta run one to keep the d honest.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

The Colts organization's current run of success STARTED with Peyton and Polian. You just can't set up a defensive scheme that Peyton won't be able to identify the weak point. The guy audibles 70% or more of plays at the line. He is intelligent AND diligent in the off-season. He doesn't have immature and egocentric episodes of behavior that challenges team morale and support. He is a leader and a unifier.

I agree with those who say the Colts success is predominantly due to Manning. He finds a way to outscore teams in low scoring AND high scoring games. It is rare for the Colts D to win a game. I resent the fact that a division rival scored such a great weapon- but let's give credit where it is due.

If the Titans had a QB with the tangible (intelligence, arm accuracy) and intangible (leadership, off-season dedication) qualities that P. Manning possesses I'm certain we would win at least 25% more games. He makes every player around him better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar