Amy Winehouse Dead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chapparal97, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't think I would necessarily call it stupidity. She quite obviously had a very severe drug problem. People that far gone are rarely thinking rationally. Call getting hooked on the drugs in the first place stupidity if you like though.

She definitely isn't in the league of the other people you mentioned (also Kurt Cobain was 27 when he died). But as far as people making her out to be more than she was, that's a phenomenon that I've noticed over the past few years with social networking going so mainstream. It's not exclusive to Amy Whinehouse. A celebrity dies and all of sudden Twitter and Facebook is all ablaze with comments about how they were one of the best to ever do whatever it was they did. That dude from Jackass dies and it was "we lost SUCH a great talent". Come on. The dude was best known for sticking Hot Wheels up his butt. DJ AM overdosed awhile back and it was "he was the greatest DJ in the business. RIP". Heath Ledger dies and suddenly has the reputation of "one of the greatest actors of our generation". And on and on and on. People are just so freaking melodramatic these days.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I think it's almost always been this way. I am a huge Jimi fan, but who knows what his tripping @$$ would have come up with in the 80's. May have been awful. Cobain would have faded out with grunge, I think, but his suicide sealed his legacy.

Michael Jackson should have died 20 years ago, same with Ozzy, a few years before that.
    You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain, or an incoherent, irrelevant turd.

Amy Winehouse was done with her time in the limelight, once again proving that killing yourself is the best way to immortalize your music career. She abandoned her craft for drugs, not like Morrison, Hendrix etc, which were a part of their whole mythos and performances. I guess that's the difference between LSD and smoking crack.

The aforementioned had some skill while being stoned on stage. Winehouse just stumbled about on stage and clearly didn't know the words or seem to care about the music at all. And to think there was someone in charge of the show who let her take the stage like that.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

To be in the forever 27 group you had to have made a difference in the world. She didn't. Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain...those are the people that really impacted culture forever. She was too selfish to do that. Say what you will about their music but they were counter-culture icons that have forever changed the way we view "celebrity" or "icon". When I look at Amy Winehouse, I just see a waste of talent; nothing more.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Perhaps you're right. Maybe it's just that social networking (and the media in general, really) puts all that melodrama right in your face nonstop. Whereas that kind of thing didn't go on even a decade ago. At least not nearly to the extent that it does now. Going back to Ryan Dunn for a second... he gets into a car completely smashed and kills himself (and a friend) and then a "RIP Ryan Dunn" Facebook page pops up that gets over 2 million "likes" almost instantly. My FB and Twitter feeds are full of people acting like they just lost their brother or something. Were there REALLY that many die hard Ryan Dunn fans out there? Perhaps, but if so that's pretty mind-blowing to me. I really think it's more about people just looking for attention rather than legitimate grieving. Which is pretty sad and pathetic.

You mean his murder? :wink2:

Seriously though, I honestly think he would've gone down as THE grunge icon regardless of his early death. And while he very well could have faded out when grunge did, I personally don't think he would have... assuming he had the motivation and the 'want-to' stay relevant. I'd think that anyone who's ever heard Nirvana's Unplugged album should be able to agree that there was real musical genius there. He wasn't just about screaming and power chords. That album remains one of my favorites to this day and is one of the few albums that I can literally listen to at any given time. And that's saying a lot from a guy like me whose daily musical tastes are typically ruled entirely by mood.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

So she's dead huh, are they sure... Can't say this is a huge shocker.

I mean look at it
    [​IMG]

it's.... well idk what it is.

Junkies are better off, well you know where. She caused her family a lot of pain, and agony. That's what they do, they mess everything up around them. Nothing personal Amy, but screw that life style!

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Never spit on someone's grave, it's bad karma...

7. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

This will help build her legacy. When she first came into the scene, she blew everyone away with her unique sound, it was groundbreaking and her songs were catchy while shying away from your traditional pop sound. Then she started to fade as sound-a-likes (Duffy, Adele) stole her thunder and she was on the verge of being forgotten. For the past year, Amy Winehouse was pretty much yesterday's news and Adele took the reign as "that voice". Now with her death, it's a safe bet to say the belt will go back to her and she will be known again as "that voice".

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Of course that "unique" Winehouse sound may ring familiar with some of us older music fans 'round here. She simply borrowed it from a few of the 60's Soul/Gospel and the Lulu/Dusty Springfield types. To Sir With Love anyone?
    Call something groundbreaking in 2011 and more often than not you can find someone else who did the same years before..

9. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

That's what made it unique. Of course she borrowed the sound from the 50's/60's but it's because she made that sound work in modern day music, that's what made her originally stand out.

Take Michael Bublé for example. Obviously Sinatra had that sound before he did, but it's because he was able to integrate that sound into today's music that people consider it unique.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I really don't know how Buble' keeps his head afloat much less is a star right now.

Guy sounds like any generic Las Vegas lobby singer in America.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar