Americas team?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 6, 2010.

?
  1. Dallas Cowboys

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. Pittsburgh Steelers

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. New England Patriots

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. Niether. I would say it was..............

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I was watching ESPN and they got to talking about the NFLs "Americas Team" and how the Dallas Cowboys have always held that honor. Question is, are they still Americas Team or has someone else taken that honor?

2. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I had to go with Pittsburgh. I know there is a certain hate towards the Steelers in this great state of Tennessee but, you have to give it to the Steelers. Look what they did at the Liberty Bowl. In Tennessee, on our soil, in our stadium, they turned it into their home game. It wasn't the first time they've done that. Their fans are every where.
    In 1996, the Steelers played the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl in Arizona. How close is Arizona to Texas? But yet the Steeler fans had the Dallas fans out numbered to the point that the broadcasters were talking about it.
    No other team has won more Super Bowls. No other teams have won them as back-to-back as Pittsburgh has done.
    If I'm going to give Dallas anything, they have the Cheerleaders and the stadium. That's about it. I'm a firm believer that if it weren't for the Texas Work Release Program, Dallas would never have won a Super Bowl.
    What about the Patriots? As one of the broadcasters stated, "Patriots, Americas Team. It fits". But do they fit? Can they measure up to either the Steelers or the Cowboys dynastys? I don't think so. They may have had a stretch of good luck but, when measured up to the Steelers or the Cowboys, these guys are on the back seat.
    Giving them all due respect, I think the Cowboys have been de-throned.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I would like to edit this thread's title and rename it: "America's Bandwagon Team" in which I would vote for the Steelers. That may change this season... It will be interesting to see how many of these bandwagon fans embrace a rapist.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

they are all idiots so they all will.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Right now America's team would be the Saints.

Looking at team popularity and ratings the Colts should be a contender.

The Steelers? No way.

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

If you go by overall sales of team merchandise, I think you'll find the Raiders and Cowboys are traditionally the most popular teams.

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Cowboys are really popular even when they dont win a SB, if they do win a SB again, you'll here about them way more than you would the Saints,Steelers or Pats.

Jerry Jones has done a good job of making the Boys bigger than life.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

First off, it's NFL Films that is who to blame for this. The V.P. way back when coined the Cowboys as "America's Team" since they were so often on national T.V..

The Cowboys brand tops the league, and is twice that of the average NFL franchise. The Packers have a lot of history as do the Steelers. However its the Dallas market and popularity that allows them to retain the the title as "America's Team". Dallas took advantage of being the first to realize how branding works, and took off with it at just the right time in the late 70's. During their glory days all you would see and hear is the "Dallas Cowboys". Radio, T.V., print, they were all over and because of that people believe they were "America's Team". Also having recognizable faces helps.

America is represented with red white and blue colors which the Cowboys are not. The Patriots come into play because of this and their team name also screams "America's Team". Because of their recent success they are a worthy contender to take the name, but as of right now it's still the Cowboys nickname.

9. amy

amy Starter

IMO, the reason the Cowboys sell the most stuff is because little and big boys like the 'cowboy' persona-swagger, beer, dancing girls in their little cowgirl outfits. Football is not saintly, nor patriotic, nor Indian, nor sheep, nor birds, nor titans, nor weather, etc. American males want to be COWBOYS!! Well, a lot of them anyhow! :greedy:

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I just view "America's team" as a nickname for the Cowboys team. I really don't care about it one way or the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar