Am I crazy to think there's a chance AJ Green falls to us?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by SawdustMan, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

It's not the rookie contracts that would be a problem if the Titans drafted Green and kept Britt. It would work for a few years as they both played out their rookie deals. The problem would happen when it came time to give 2nd contracts.

If both Britt and Green became solid NFL starters (or even stars), they would each want a large 2nd contract. There's no way the Titans could afford to give out two of those to wide receivers (most teams don't even like having one high-paid receiver). One of the two players would have to be traded or let go in free agency (the same situation the Cardinals faced with Bolding and Fitzgerald).

You just can't draft a WR knowing that you probably can't afford to keep him long-term. Green is not an option for the Titans (unless they have already decided that Britt must go).

2. gran54

gran54 Starter

Good point, only possibly way I see them taking anyone else is if Patrick Peterson is on the board.

3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

No way. Take AJ Green. I've been waffling about this, but in my opinion you have to take a player that good if hes there. The best QB we could get, be him a veteran, or ANY rookie in the draft, isn't going to make us a contender this year. I say stock up on great talent, so when we do get a QB who can make us a contender he will have massive ammunition to fire with. We can beef up our team IMMENSELY this year and next year with young defense and skill players, then drop a vet or a rookie in next year to succeed. No sense in reaching for a QB whos no where near the value we put into him...

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

if cleveland goes wr it will be julio as cinci will draft aj...you heard it here and whoever said to ship britt and a 2012 second for kolb is crazy---gut i like what you usually say but have to 100% object against this statement simply because any of the qb's in this draft are as proven as kolb why not take one of them instead of wasting a 2012 second round pick on him when he isnt even worth that along let along that and britt

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd love taking AJ Green, but it leaves a big whole on D and QB. I guess if we could land an average QB via trade or FA... whenever the stupid CBA is agreed on. That's quite a risk though.

Maybe Denver will trade us Tebow :yes: Or, Bills trade us Fitz (if they draft Cam).

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Oh God yea, Peterson would be a no brainier as the only thing worse than Cleveland's receiving group is the bunch of misfits trying to play safety. They do however have a lot of youth at the safety positions so that has me thinking WR.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why are people worried about Nate Washington's contract? If we drafted Jones or Green and Britt got it together we could send Washington packing without hardly any cap hit.

All we need is one year for our rookie Wr to adjust to the nfl and another year for Williams to gain experience and Washington can go. Same thing even if we don't go Wr until rd 2 or 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar