Alex Brown on trade block..any takers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfrancis04

jfrancis04 AKA jonboy_the_titan

You are right. That was in 99 when he sacked Tee Martin like 5 times I believe. I'll edit the post to reflect the difference. Thanks for pointing that out.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ah...

You caught me in a quick (and bad) edit. The second half of that line came from the previous paragraph (on Freeney) and I didn't re-read it through accurately.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Kiwi is not a proven pass rusher...but he filled in nicely for the Giants last year. I think he's worth a gamble (3rd rnd plus maybe a backup player). Giants can get a backup LB and have him start...while we get a 'backup' DE and get him to start.

My preference is to go for the gold in trying to aquire Freeney though I don't see that happening. We'd have to way overpay (the Colts) for the privelege of overpaying Freeney....though we would have a dominant RDE.

The best value (though highest risk) is Jared Allen. Because of his risk...we should be able to get him relatively cheaply given his prowess (plays both the pass and run well). I'd even give up a 2nd rndr if I had to for him (though I think a 3rd, player and perhaps an escalator clause for the draft pick (like if he has 15 sacks they get a 2nd instead). His contract would have to be carefully done to protect the team should he have another character issue....but he's a fine young RDE who'd fill the last piece.

And Bulluck's not getting any younger!

Gut

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

If we are going after a DE I'd go after Greg Ellis from Dallas. They just drafted Spencer, and drafted DeMarcus Ware 2 years ago. Ellis was shifted to OLB in their 3-4 last year and isn't all that happy being shifted around. He's still got 3-4 good years left.

He's coming off a ruptured achilles and probably isn't as explosive as he once was, but if he's healthy for his current salary (around $2.5m) he would be a great pickup. Could probably be had for a 3rd.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Giving up a 2nd rounder for Alex Brown is not a bad idea. The main issue is going to be his contract demands. A 2nd rounder for a proven vet who can play a postion of need is a bargain IMO. If he wants too much money I doubt we would be interested. Thus, I'd offer a 3rd just to see if the Bears bite.

Alex Brown could be far better than any DE we could get in the 2nd round. Just look at the 2nd rounders we have now!

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

None of those guys are going for less than a 1st, I'll almost guarantee that. (and btw I'm assuming you mean Bobby McCrae?).

6. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

According to Len Pasquarelli at ESPN, "Brown has 27 sacks in his five-year career, with a career-best seven in 2006, and 20 in the past three seasons. He has three years remaining on his contract, at base salaries of $595,000 (2007), $550,000 (2008) and $670,000 (2009)."

Three years left on his contract, very affordable for almost any team to take on. Of course he could also demand a new contract if he was traded. I would feel very comfortable based on his play to give at least a 3rd rounder, possibly a 2nd depending on who else become available. Would definately cut down the double teams on KVB.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Whose Brian McCrea?

8. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Give the Bears a 3. and Odom/LaBoy (whomever they may want).

Alex Brown is a huge upgrade at DE, something we (desperately) needs.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I think you guys are both wrong since I'm guessing you mean Bobby McCray from Jacksonville.

Brian McCrea? haha no offense.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

First off...you are completely correct. I meant BOBY McCrae. Brian McCrae is (or was) a baseball manager and sometimes I get the names mixed up.

Why wouldn't any of those guys go for less than a 1st? I could see Freeney going for a first (or more)....but he's top 3 since he's been in the league and in his prime.

Allen is perhaps one mistake away from a season long suspension. This is so important to KC that they don't want to give him a big contract. That should tell you something.

McCrae was only tendered to give up a 1st rnd pick as a RFA. We COULD have made his cost essentially a 2nd rnd pick by trading down towards the bottom of round 1 (getting an extra 2nd), and then signing McCrae and giving up our new 1st pick. Since we still would have gotten the player and a 2nd (in a trade down), we could have tempered the cost. No one tenders guys at the level they are willing to let someone walk (unless it's like a 3rd or 4th round pick). Especially a young pass rusher. I guess a 2nd gets him fairly easily....unless they don't want him going to a division foe.

Ask yourself this question (on the flip side). What could we get back for trading Pacman Jones? Given his current situation...could we get a first? Would we trade him for a 2nd and a young backup CB? In Allen's situation...that's what I'm talking about.

Heck...Moss and Jackson only went for 4th rnd picks. Javon Walker went for a 2nd. Outside of the Schaub ridiculousness (because he's a QB and Houston's stupid), who's getting a 1st rnd pick anymore?

And when you factor in that several of these teams DON'T WANT TO PAY THESE GUYS...it only makes sense for them to trade them before they either have to franchise them next year (and 9mil sounds like more than KC or the Jags want to pay) or let them walk after this season. I don't see anyone offering up a 1st rndr....so maybe a 2nd, a player, and an esalator clause sounds like a pretty solid alternative.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar