Albert Haynesworth indicated Wednesday that he has no plans to re-up with the Titans.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

Hey what have I been saying all along? Good riddance! He always let us down in the end. He won't do any better anywhere else.

2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

What a hoot it would be if he ends up signing with the Titans and this was all hype!

PSYCH!!!!!!!!

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That's because they all keep it hazy on purpose. There are three kinds of guarantees... for injury, for cap purposes, and for skill. Players want to be guaranteed for all three. I'm not sure if the guarantees that they report are for all three categories, or only one of them.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

In general, the player is gonna look for all the guaranteed money to be in the form of a signing bonus...as in...here's your $40mil when you sign the contract. He could wreck his knee walking in to cash his check and that 40mil is his.

Most likely, the team would want to break up that high a number to give themselves SOME insurance. If he gets 20mil to sign with a roster bonus of 10mil next year and another 10mil the following year, it gives you at least a little insurance should he wreck his knee walking in to the bank! Then you'd only be on the hook for the 20mil.

This will surely be a sticking point in finalizing a contract since he tends toget banged up and will want all his money upfront. The club will want the opposite!

Gut

6. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

As much as I regret losing Al on the defense, I also don't fault him for seeking a large contract. Even if he signs for $100 million, he'll only see the signing bonus and maybe 2 years of the yearly salary. A guy in Albert's shape needs to get as much money as he can for his future. His body will be a mess and he probably will be in a special made Hover Round/electric wheelchair by the time he's 50. By the time he's 60, he will be requiring help just getting up and going to the bathroom. With his temperment, he probably will have legal troubles after he no longer has football to channel his aggression.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

http://www.nfl.com/players/antwanodom/careerstats?id=ODO051141

Well, he played in 12 games so I wouldn't call that "barely". Although I didnt watch a lot of bengals games, so i don't know how much time he played in those games.

26 Tackles, 3 sacks, pretty normal season for him statwise. I definately wouldn't say he just completely bombed and was terrible. He did ok. I don't know Cinci's cap situation is going forward, but I'd be kind of surprised if they cut him.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Signed as the savior/replacement for Justin Smith. Zimmer has already said he needs to see much more out of Antwan this next year. Singled him out.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, yes, that's how bonus money works, once the bonus is paid, it's yours (unless you do something detrimental to the team). However, I was referring to the rest of the so-called "guaranteed" money from future years' salary. When we see the reports on a contract, we see a guaranteed number that is larger than the signing bonus, and that number is a combination of the signing bonuse and any other salary guarantees. Roster bonuses can be guaranteed or not, depending on how they're written. We just never (or very rarely) see it all broken down. My favorite part of taking Sports Agency Law was getting to see a bunch of players' actual contracts. There's so much variation, it's pretty nuts.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

"He's extremely intelligent"

Apparently, GLinks has never had a conversation with Haynesworth, or followed his career full of braindead mistakes.

He's not a very bright guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar