Albert Einstein's Riddle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Starkiller, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PM me your assumption and I'll tell you how I got it without assuming anything.

I didn't do a step-by-step solution so much as making a grid of info.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well in my case it was the location of the green/white combo, but it could also have been drinks, smokes or pets instead. I'm just fairly sure that once you've laid out the rules that are given, you can't logically pick the next step without going a couple of steps down the tree and finding out you were wrong (ie. you make an assumption and try to prove it correct).

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

For me, Green White was easy. I had trouble with the smokes. And I had to create a grid of several variables to figure it out.

4. The green/white thing left me with a choice of 2 possibilities. But another fact about one house's neighbor eliminated one of the options.

5. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I got it in about 30 minutes. Great riddle though, and lots of fun. There's no way only 2% can get it though...it's just a matter of patience.

6. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Oh, and Einstein wasn't even alive in the early 19th C. I think you (or the original where you got this from) meant early 20th C.

7. According Wikipedia, there's no proof that Einstein wrote it so no one knows when it was actually written. But he is the person most commonly credited for it (Lewis Carroll is the other).

8. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

It took me about 20 minutes to figure it out. Then again, I am a MENSA member, so that is expected. Besides, riddles are my speciality.

9. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

The one asumption everyone has to make is that in the street the 1st house mentioned (the norwegians) is the first house from left to right on a straight street, not from right to left, (I began trying the other, and was thinking 1st was the 1st fro the right to the left of the street) Everyone has to make that asumption, at least.

If not, the green-white hint does not work porperly, because they are set one to the left of the other.

I know im weird, but almost 99% of the time I come to try to solve something doing an asumption everyone else is doing in other way... like those stupid tests about think of a fruit, now a color and so. Im always far far away from stats... guess must be too much banging my head with football...

Im working at the riddle the other way after almost quitting and is going well, got almost half grid full, still after 30 minutes no yet done... guess im not that fast, although i got pretty stressed after trying the other way.

IC tests are meaningless, how can yo measure something that is not a measurable? Is not even one skill but the combination of many, and is not even definable, is like trying to measure beauty. Everyone know what it is (for each of us), but in general is changing continuously over time and responds to cultural conventions.

10. OK, well that is true. They don't specifically say the 1st house is the 1st house on the left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar