Alan Faneca or Jacob Bell?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

So I doubt Faneca gets traded after all, but hypothetically, if you could trade Bell, who is agent-prodded to not sign his contract to go after more dollars, to the Steelers in a straight-up trade for Faneca, who wants out, would you do it?

Yes, Bell is younger, but Faneca is a better pulling guard who might have a couple more good years left and plus he's in that Steve Hutchinson category. Leroy Harris, the 4th round OL draft pick, can play all 3 interior positions, can learn from and back up two great players in Mawae and Faneca.

Bell would be reunited with Roethlisberger. Faneca admitedly wants more money, but has a salary of $4.4M this year. These new OG contracts are averaging $7M since last year's Hutchinson deal. Faneca could be a better insurance policy for two young runningbacks. Bell is getting better, and is very promising, but does he appear to think he's better than he is at times? And how much does he want to be here? Just questions. No answers.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

O-line can usually last longer, so maybe he has another 4-5 good years left. But has he shown any signs of dropping off? How much of an upgrade is he really? I've never watched him much.

I have watched Bell much. I don't know what he thinks about himself (but who would be suprised if he has an elevated veiw of himself with that agent), but I think he's average, maybe slightly above average. If he could play with more strength, he'd be much better. I rewatched the Dallas game a few days ago and saw him get knocked on his butt a few times when going head to head with LB's....but he does pull to the LB's well :ha:

If Faneca is that much of an upgrade, and we can afford it, I don't think it's too risky given Faneca's age. But what does our FA situation lok like next year? Al and who else of importance?

3. Nine

Nine Starter

I heard an interesting statistic on Sirius radio today:

75% of the Steelers' running plays are run behind Alan Faneca....they either run it to his side, or he pulls and acts as the lead blocker on the play.

Seventy-five percent. That's crazy.

Granted, he's not gonna be cheap. But if he thinks he's got five more years left in him, he's one guy I wouldn't mind breaking the bank for. If you can build a dominant O-line, everything else generally falls into place fairly quickly.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

My goodness yes..

I'm one of jacob bell's biggest fans but faneca is a future hall of famer. 6 pro bowls and still only 32. Imagine having him and mawae playing together with olson. Perhaps the best interior o-line in football, certainly the most seasoned. Maybe the best 0-line in football with roos and stewart.

You would have to make that trade but it would never happen we would need to throw a draft choice in there.

I don't see bell getting better, i think he has leveled off. A good player but what you see now is probably what you are getting for the next 7 years.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I could see us going after Faneca but why give up Bell? I'd keep Bell as well and drop Olsen.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Exactly.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Anyone heard any sort of estimate on what it would take to get Faneca from the Steelers? They might reasonably swap him for a younger player like Bell, maybe with a low pick thrown in, but I don't know what we'd have to give up just in term of picks. He'd be a big upgrade to the line, even though he's pretty old. Since we've got some development behind him, I'd be all for it if we could figure out a way to do it.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Faneca turns 31 on Dec. 7. I'd say he's got some stuff left.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I was listening to the same thing. It got me thinking.

Hijack: Jeff Fisher was on, reviewing the draft, talking Titans, etc. I only caught part of it. He was talking about Leroy Harris and Antonio Johnson. Separately, I read that Johnson at times even took on triple teams!

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I checked the salary CAP numbers and noticed Olson is signed through 2009 and cutting him would not save us anything on the CAP. Trading him would save 2.4 mil which is his salary but we wuld lose most of that as prorated bonus. Also, Olson is only two years older than Faneca.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar