Al Davis dead at 82

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by skitch, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Breaking News: Al Davis was found slightly more dead today than he's been the last five years.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

He died 10 years ago. They just now discovered that

5. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Back in the 70's and 80's Al Davis's Raiders had a better winning percentage than any team in the league.Better than the Dallas Cowboys,Pittsburgh Steelers and Miami Dolphins.Had a pleasure to watch them back in the day and before we had a team here in Tennessee i sort of adopted the Raiders as my favorite team.They won their share of Super Bowls but when the decade wore on they weren't the same as the 90's dawned.Never forgot in '91 the moment we knew the Bills had truly arrived when they knocked off the Raiders 51-3 in the playoffs.I hated the Bills for a long time especially after they also defeated Houston in the comeback game in '93.We finally got 'em back in '99 with the Music City Miracle.Anyway i think Al Davis last great moment was the 2002 AFC championship between Tennessee and Oakland because after that game he never experienced another winning season and it was all downhill after they lost to Tampa in the SB.Rich Gannon would be the last truly good QB he would have.

6. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

One of the coolest dudes in the NFL, even if he did get a little crazy near the end of his run. RIP.

7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

RIP Al...I agree that he had gotten a bit out of touch in the last several years, but I am also old enough to remember what he did for the sport in the 70s-80s. Good, bad, or indifferent, it is possible that we would not have the Titans here had it not been for some of the "spit in the Commissioner's face" attitude of Al Davis back in the day.

8. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I remember when he had the press conference with the overhead projector about Lane Kiffin. He called Kiffin a liar and All kinds of stuff. Many people thought he was some crazy old guy.......
    Well......looks like he knew Kiffin better than anyone! Lol!

RIP Mr. Davis.
    You were definitely one of a kind.
    Lamar Hunt, Al Davis, Bud Adams......the NFL would not be what it is today without these guys.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He didn't retire he died! I'm not disagreeing with you from a football perspective but when a man is dead there is a little more to that.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I liked the Raider teams of the later 70's; Stabler, Biletnakoff, Plunkett, Coach Madden, Branch, Casper, Tatum, Shell, Upshaw, Matusak, etc.
    But somewhere around the time of their move to LA, their fans became WWE castoffs and Mr. Davis lost his edge.
    But he was good for the game, sad that most fans today are too young to appreciate what he was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar