Akeem Ayers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Wrong. We have a lot of players to play both. We have versatile players for a hybrid defense. Did you just miss the draft? How many prototypical 4-3 players did we just draft? Whether you think they can or not is pretty damn irrelevant. Munchak thinks they can. What do you think is going to happen?
    • High Five High Five x 1
  2. Soxcat

Soxcat Starter

Two things are obvious IMO.
    1. They drafted some of the pieces to move in the direction of a 3-4 alignment.
    2. They still have a few pieces missing.

So I think it points to some kind of hybrid system this year with more of a move in the next year or so and I do have a feeling they might look for a bigger space eater at DT in FA. We shall see. I think this also spells the end for guy like Haye and Marks who simply don't fit any new system we are moving to.

Tide mentions not getting a NT in this draft but the way I see it the value and need is just as strong at LB and we took 2 of those in the first 4 rounds. We also took two DL guys in the first 5 rounds that can fit a hybrid or straight 3-4 (Casey could actually play NT). Even if the intention is to go straight 3-4 there is not way we can do that transition in one year.

I do think what we will see is a heavier front line with 5 guys going after the QB almost every play.
  3. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Yeah, those big NTs are really hard to find. Casey may have been the closest they could get in round 3. There were only 2 or 3 guys in this whole draft that really fit, and none of them are a great fit (Dareus is probably the best). If we want a full 3-4, we'll need to find a FA or hope we get a shot at one next year. In the meantime, they've added some size and some players to get us the hybrid.
  4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Starter

I think a lot of you are not thinking clearly with this possible 3-4 conversion going on. Here's why...

If we don't run a base 3-4 we don't need a big NT. What I mean is if, say, we go to a 3-4 on 2nd and long or 3rd and long, in those circumstances, 3-4 teams get a smaller pass rusher in at NT. So based on current personnel we could easily rock a 3-4 look in clear "pass rushing situations". It would look something like this...

......AkeemAyers...DerrickMorgan...TonyBrown...JasonJones...GeraldMcRath....
    ...........OLB..................DE.................NT...............DE................OLB..........

.......................WillWitherspoon.......................StephenTulloch....................
    ................................LB..........................................LB.............................
  5. 24

24 Starter

There's no 3-4 conversion going on. We are a still a 4-3 team. The goal was to get versatile players so that Gray would have flexibility in fitting the scheme to the opponent. He even cited the Patriots in a press conference. We may show some 3-4 looks, but it looks like we are finally fitting the scheme to the players. This is the smart thing to do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.