Akeem Ayers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wilson is almost 6'4 250 and has great speed. His cone and shuttle times were mediocre but not bad. Ayers' was bad!

Foster was the best OLB out of a group of comparable guys. Foster, Wright and McCarthy. He is a bit short but played all the linebacker positions at Washington and was a tackling machine.

Then of course there is Carter the best pure 4-3 OLB but coming off an injury. Still somebody thought he was worth a shot because he went in the next pick.

FYI Wilson had the same number of sacks as Ayers last year.

They must have an idea of Ayers being a hybrid OLB-DE type guy and got him for his pass rush but 4 sacks won't impress anybody.

2. Ai2Ai

Ai2Ai Starter

Combine times are insanely overrated.. let's see what Ayers can do come TC before we go ape sh*t.

3. currage

currage Livin' in enemy territory

I'm curious to see what Akeem "ya know" Ayers can do. We lucked out with Verner last year. Maybe UCLA will show up for the Titans this year as well.

4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

if Ayers ends up being as good as Verner has been so far then i'll be happy.

5. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

So...

After watching more video I really think Ayers is a pretty sweet pick for us. His Highlight video is pretty awesome, I can't recall a player playing all over the field like Ayers is able to. I'm telling you guys, there is something brewing with the coaching staff, we are either in transition to a 3-4 or we are going to give a 3-4 look much of the time.

In a 4-3 look I can see Ayers playing over the TE and jamming him, if you watch the video he does that very, very well. Which means we'll play the run since better and he'll be able to set the edge well.

In coverage he really seems very instinctual, I see mostly zone coverage, but that is the hardest coverage to play as it's easy to get a lost and to buy pump fakes, but he doesn't do that. That said I'm not sure how good or bad he is in man coverage, I'm not sure how much of that he'll be asked to do anyway.

In a 3-4 look this guy has Suggs written all over him. He's obviously not as big as Suggs but he can develop his body into a similar build. The knock on Suggs coming out of College was his forty time as well, high 4.7's 4.8's, man they are similar in that sense.

Hand in the dirt or rushing this guy is going to be a beast mark my words. As long as we utilize him the correct way he could be something special. Akeem Ayers could very well be the missing cog in the puzzle for Gray, someone that versitile can really be a dangerous weapon for us.

Here is his highlight video again, I'm sure most of you have seen it but it's hard to tell where the hell he is half the time because he's lined up somewere different on almost every play... I love that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36hhdBm9QU

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

That's what makes him such a ridiculous pick. This guy was rated easily top 3 LB across most boards I'd imagine and we lucked out with that run on DL and OL that he fell right into our laps. We couldn't ask for a better connection. A guy who has hybrid written all over him going to a team looking for a confusing, hybrid defense. I mentioned this before though, he needs to help his hips. He seems to find himself out of position sometimes with his angles and that's where his "weak" tackles come from a lot of the time. Same problem Casey Matthews has (though Casey's is a lot worse, it's straight line or nothing with him).

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I like the comparison to Suggs. The kid just has a knack for rushing the QB. He might have had much better stats for sacks had he been used more as a pass rusher. IMO he is a pure 3-4 OLB.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

So... what are the Titans doing with a 3-4 OLB? I still don't really understand this pick.

9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I'm guessing that confusion is the new name of the game. It seems as though Gray wants versitile players that can fit numerous schemes. We've been soooooo predictable both on offense and defense under Fisher. This really is a long overdue change in philosophies, I think we will be much, much better because of it. It's all about confusion and throwing as many looks as you can at an offense.

10. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Because we're a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense now. Not that confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar