Akeem Ayers in line for some new work in his second season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Pro Football Talk, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Football Talk

Pro Football Talk Titans News

[float][​IMG][/float] The Titans liked what they got from linebacker Akeem Ayers in his rookie season, but they want even more in his second year.

Ayers had 88 tackles as a rookie, the second-most by any Titans rookie since 1999, and he will start at strongside linebacker again this season. Ayers wasn’t a major part of the team’s pass rush, though, and that’s something that both Ayers and the team want to change this time around.

“I am real motivated to help out even more, whatever they want me to do,” said Ayers, via the Tennessean. “Hopefully I can get the opportunity to rush the passer more. I want to do more things. I am excited for the season to come. I want my hard work to pay off. And I will definitely be more prepared for the season.”

Ayers had two sacks and seven quarterback pressures last season, but the team has come up with a strategy for boosting his production on that front. Ayers has been working with pass rush coach Keith Millard and the team plans to have him line up at defensive end on passing downs.

The team had just 28 sacks overall last season so there’s definitely a need for improvement. Kamerion Wimbley was brought to town to help on that front, but he won’t be enough to do it all on his own. If Derrick Morgan steps up and Ayers proves up to his new task, the Titans could be a tougher team to play against this year.

[​IMG]
    Source: Pro Football Talk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar