Air Apparent

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, May 17, 2006.

?
  1. Week 1, 2006

3.2%
  2. October, 2006

9.7%
  3. November, 2006

21.0%
  4. December, 2006

22.6%
  5. Week 1, 2007

32.3%
  6. Not even by then...

11.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

if vince is ready there is no way fish puts mauck on the field before vince....

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, obviously... however the question is, do you think he will be ready before the 2007 season? I don't.

3. Neither do I

4. He could be ready this year, but I don't think he'll be ready before the bye.

Either way, he's going to face a big adjustment whenever he gets the starting job. I'd say it's better to let him adjust late this year and be more prepared to begin 2007.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

ot: our schedule is pretty brutal all the year through.
    It's tough early...
    after the week 7 bye as you know we play Houston.

BV: .500 or else! I swear. They could give Volek the first six games and continue with him or bench him based on record.
    i.e. at least 2 wins down at the week 7 bye or he sits.

I think they will start Young in Houston and layeth down a beatdown.
    texas style ;>

Titans 19 Moo-Burgers 10 ???

It could happen. I prefer 43-0 :winker:

"The Tennessee Titans come off 5 game schnide in Houston with their second win of the season ellevating them to an illustrious 2-5 record."

-Boomer

Philly could be back and the NYG? (bipolar laughs)

Nov 5 @Jacksonville
    Nov 12 Baltimore
    Nov 19 @Philadelphia
    Nov 26 N.Y. Giants

These games in November Vince could RIP off...:yell:
    It could turn into something magical ... 6-5 all of a sudden...:yell2:

???
    They should make it a private goal to get Young to start after the bye week. That would really crushing to hear that your budding star quarterback is pregnant. I'm sure they have every contingency.

Vince may be really really ready by the bye.
    Talent like this is an unknown quanity.
    He could come out freakishly fast.

They don't quite know what they have got. It's kind of like the sports almanac that old man Biff brings back to the younger version of himself in that movie, Back To The Future II. Let's just hope the comparisons end there... I hope Floyd Reese and Jeff Fisher have more sense than a fictional moron from a popular science fiction motion picture trilogy. :geek:

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I don't think some people on this board understand what it means when we say VY is not ready.

He doesn't simply need to learn the playbook! And even he that was all, he'd still need a ton of time. His Texas offense was basic...by High School Standards. He needs to learn an NFL offense this time.

Second, he needs to learn to adapt to the speed of the game. Most QB's take quite a while with this one...from 6 or 7 starts to 3 years of starting fulltime. I think he'll adapt to this the fastest.

Third, learning to read an NFL D is where this all becomes a problem! In Texas he had one read...period. If you watched all the pre-draft ESPN stuff, they showed how he didn't make a High School level pre-snap read but instead followed his single read...and got sacked. He can't do that in the pros and be successful. For All-World QB's in college in pro-style offenses, learning to read a D takes a long time. For a guy who's made no pre-snap reads out of a basic offense with basically no reading of the defense...and this is a big problem which will take a lot of time, practice, and film room before he even BEGINS to grasp this.

Lastly, the success of our OL will also be a large factor. If the flood gates open up a lot when we're passing, VY should not be inserted this year. Trying to read defenses frequently makes rookie QB's look slow or confused and a leaky OL is a great way for VY to get crushed. We've seen it before...high profile rookie QB's come in and get sacked a zillion times. Some never recover from taking that kind of beating.

I LOVE that they are trying to make some packages to get him on the field and utilize him as a weapon. Great job! But he needs to learn to make pre-snap reads, read the defense and practice going through 3 and 4 man progressions before they can even THINK about using him as a starter.

The one caveat is if the Titans are doing so poorly, the only way for Fisher and Reese to keep their jobs is to play VY so it's 'expected' that we'd have a poor record. This is a poor excuse of a reason to start him, but I could see it happen.

In short, VY should not start til he's ready or it'd be like me taking on a novice player in Madden....I'd crush his QB...even if he had VY or Vick. And the reality is, that can affect VY long term. This is NOT something to risk!

So utilize him in specific short yardage and goal line situations. This will give him limited pre-snap reads, limited plays and get him use to game speed. This is an excellent option for the Titans as they won't hurt his long time development and give him SOME experience at the same time. But until he knows the playbook inside and out, can make pre-snap reads for all the plays, understand all the protections/hot routes and who SHOULD be open on a given play against the expected D, read the defense AS he drops back, go through 3 or 4 man progressions, and develop his intermediate and long accuracy, he should start unless he HAS to.

I believe he'll make a few starts this year though I don't think he'll be really ready for it. However, we could see a similar offense as we ran when McNair first started fulltime...Eddie on 1st and 2nd down and McNair to Wycheck on 3rd (or a scramble) for a first down. However, unless our D drastically improves, this won't be a winning formula.

Gut

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Imagine it's week 13, we're 7-5 and Volek sustained an injury against NYG.
    In contention for a playoff spot and at home versus Indy.......

Instead of starting Mauck (who may not even be our #2 if he's even on the roster) or starting whoever our stop-gap #2 happens to be would you start Vince then?

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Gut, though I agree with your comments that it's wise to utilize Young in certain situations where he'll have the best chance to succeed, I disagree with your comment on how basic the Texas offense was.

This common misconception was repeated as gospel for weeks leading up to the draft. After reading it once again on Fox, I did an interview with a reporter who covered the Longhorns who contradicted many of those myths.

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001362.shtml

Though I agree that Young will have a major adjustment, I don't think it is as dramatic as many believe.

9. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

If we go below 500 through our first 8 games i would name him the starter.This is if we loose McNair.

10. If we are below .500 halfway through the season, I still don't think that would motivate Fisher to name him the starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar