Agent Hints Brown May Leave Camp if No Extension Talk

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fltitan

fltitan Guest

My understanding is he can be fined $16000.00 a day and thats pretty stupid on his part the only thing more stupid his not being there letting Herny get the carries getting in rythm and sitting him on the bench. It might also give White time to play himself into shape. What is a 3rd team running back worth these days . Chris needs to shut up his agent who is going to hurt him badly just to get himself a payday.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Brown won't walk out because he knows he needs to produce. What will get Reese to the table is if he busts out in a couple of the first regular season games.

3. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Chris needs to put a muzzle on his agent.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Why?

His agent is doing just what he's supposed to do. He's putting out the message that Brown wants job security to anybody interested. He realizes Brown is at risk (injury, poor performance, not enough carries) to not get a higher payday or contract length if they wait until the season starts. By making noise, they may get lucky and generate interest from another team.

The problem is that Brown and his agent are having trouble accepting that Floyd still has to approve a trade and that teams (Titans included) appear to want to see what Brown can do this year. (at least the early part).

I don't blame either one of them for trying, just being a little slow to realize the situation.

5. fltitan

fltitan Guest

I do blame them this can be a distraction to Chris and the football team and thats not what you want just before the season opens. I do agree he wants his security and thats ok but as Jeff said let him bust a couple of big games and he will get his extension. I believe this agent told Chris he would get him an extension before the season and thats why Chris changed, now the agent has to make good. Anyone that knows Reese should know better than to make threats. If he does walk it will kill his chance for a big FA contract because if Henry and or White produce while he is out he sure want get the carries he needs. Just shut your agent up and play.

6. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

They're being absolutely stupid not to realize the situation. Every other team in the league has seen the same thing we have... a guy who cant stay on the field, and who's injuries consistently keep him from being a star player. Not to mention, he's the starter for THIS team, and he's under contract til next spring. The Titans have absolute zero incentive to trade him or extend his contract.

Now if he really wants to get traded, his best bet would be to get arrested, and then the Bengals might be interested. :lol:

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO coming out and asking for an extension of a trade is reasonable and what the agent is supposed to do. Going as far as to say Brown might leave camp is moronic, stupid and counter productive. First, the Titans have little incentive to bow to that kind of behavior. Brown is under contract. Second, if Brown did leave camp that sure isn't going to give Brown brownie points with other teams down the road when he really is a FA. And finally, if Brown misses time the Titans could declare Henry the starter with White backing him up and basically screw Brown's contract year effectivness assuring he will not get as big of a contract.

IMO if Brown really wants a new contract before the year starts the only way he has a chance, outside of a trade which isn't likely, is to ask for something reasonable that the Titans can live with. 10 mil over the next 3 years with half of that amount up front would not be unreasonable. Wanting 5 mil a year might be.

8. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

It does not matter that they "generate interest."
    The Titans have him under contract, and are going to keep him.

If I were running the show, I would tell the agent that for every report I heard in the media that served as a distraction, any extention talks would be pushed back a month, and the dollar value would be reduced by a half million per year.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

And you'd be absolutely stupid not to realise that a seasonending injury in the final year of your contract will have serious negative impact on any contract offers you may receive. Which is why it's clever on Brown's part to try to get a contract before he risks a serious injury.

People have to see both sides of the coin here. It's smart for the Titans not to pony up until they've seen something, but it's also smart for Brown to get a deal done before he risks anything.

If it was me in Brown's situation, I'd want to know if the team had any plans on possibly extending my contract or if they're just letting me play it out and let me go. At least be honest to your employees.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

From what I read, the agent actually never said Brown would leave camp. The reporter asked him if leaving camp was an option to bring Reese to the table and his agent said something to the effect of "we're not ruling anything out". He also made a few comments saying that holding out is not what they are about, just doing what is reasonable to get a deal done.

I agree whole-heartedly that the agent and Brown are having trouble (or being stupid to put it another way) accepting/realizing the market isn't going to support an extension for him right now before he produces this year. They also don't want to acknowledge that a trade for an extension still requires Titans FO participation.

IMO, it is going to work out best for the Titans. They have the upper hand in this situation. Brown has to produce as TJ said to get what he wants. If he gets hurt trying, we don't have him signed yet to a long term deal and haven't forked out any "guaranteed" money. Win-win Titans. Relax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar