Aereo case heads to the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know if many of following this but it could have a major impact on the future of streaming TV.

Aereo basically captures the free HD TV signals being put out by local stations and then streams that feed to subscriber for around $8 a month. The networks are saying they're stealing the signal while Aereo says they are no different than an antenna people can purchase.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/04/streaming_tv_dispute_reaches_u.html

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If it allows me to get meTV I'm on the side of Aereo!

3. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

There is no way they win.

The difference is that an antenna you can buy at the store does not redistribute the signal for others.

It is the difference between recording an NFL game to watch later, and recording a game to burn on DVDs and sell. All about redistribution of a product that isn't yours.

I guess the companies have to prove they "own" the waves being broadcasted about, which they will undoubtedly do.

4. XO

XO Nevada Native

Companies can not keep up with technology.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I wouldn't pay 8 bucks for it. But they are public signals.

They are charging money for those signals. That's where they will lose, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar