Actors/Actresses whose movies you refuse to watch

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Childress79, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Haha.. you lost me Deuce when you put Avon over String. Avon was closer to reading lines. Keep in mind Elba is a British chap to boot..

And for Geronimo, I swear we must not be watching the same Lost cuz Season 4 was when it started getting ridiculous..

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Beat me to it. You'd never guess he had an English accent, unlike a guy like Gerard Butler, who can't do an American accent to save his life but still gets work.

3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Avon's best moment:

It's 85 f**ing degrees out here and you trying to be like Pat Riley!"

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GeronimoJackson

Emerson was a few notches above O'Quinn in LOST. I use them both as a whole because the best moments in that show were when they were both on screen. I haven't finished The Wire, when does Elba brings out his best in your mind? (without spoilers)

Emerson's character was just more appealing to me and was harder to portray IMO. The multiple transformations, how he was a master of manipulation, the tension he brought in every scene because you could never decide if he was a good guy or bad guy (did you see the cereal scene I linked?), the creepiness, the intellect, the comic relief, the way he was able to make you sympathize even after all the cruel intentions..

I hope you didn't see what I said as a knock on Elba, Emerson was just that good to me.

Zel does play the same guy in every movie, but as you said, he's good at it. But regardless, his Oscar was well deserved for Alonzo in Training Day (which was the best "Denzel" he's played lol).

He's been getting roles, just hasn't done a good one since American Gangster. He's more of a movie star than actor like a lot of Hollywood's A listers. It's been said he's a strong consideration (only concern is his age) to play Sam Cooke in the biopic movie coming out. He already has the smile locked down. If he gets the part, of course there's going to be some resembling traits between Zel and Sam Cooke but I want to see if he can still pull it off while breaking old "Denzel" habits.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

K - Yes, Denzel was in more popular films- but Elba is doing the exact same thing just picking bad roles to do it in.

CC - I've only seen clips. But Avon as a character actually has better pacing. I think Elba is getting the DD Lewis treatment on this one a bit "Slow... every.... thing down. And............. people will think.... you're....... a great actor." haha

But being British does sorta help. Though Brits doing American accents is far easier than Americans doing accents from the UK. He has only a slight accent also. Not much to take off.

6. GeronimoJackson

You sure you're not thinking about Season 5? Season 5 was when they tried getting back to the island and it started to go down hill. Season 4 was the flashforwards, showing how they actually got off, and had the episode "The Constant" (which is the single best episode in the entire series).

Not because there was a huge twist or cliffhanger, but The Constant had top notch directing, writing, acting for any show. The complexity was profound and executed brilliantly, and it was foreshadow for the show's last scene. TIME called it the t.v. episode of the year so I must not be crazy for thinking so highly of it lol.

7. GeronimoJackson

I like DDL, went back and realized I've seen more of his movies than I originally thought, and I can understand if people don't worship him... he's pretty much a broadway actor on screen so it's understandable if you find his movies boring. Like his last great one, There Will Be Blood, I watched it with like 5 other people and I was the only one that didn't fall asleep. If you're not into inert, performance movies, then yeah, you won't see it the same way as someone that is would. Everyone's got different taste.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I like DDL, just don't think he's mind-blowingly great. He's like myself in a way. Character actor that finds it easier to over-act than act realistically. And I'm all about individual performances.

In There Will Be Blood he simply over-acted. Which turned me off from his performance. Unnecessary, really. His slowing of lines just became tedious to me.

9. GeronimoJackson

That was just his character though, it was supposed to be theatrical, yeah you can tell he's just acting, but it's damn good... hence the broadway on screen analogy, And then there's an actor like Tom Hanks, who isn't in your face powerful, but more natural, you feel like he's actually just living his life and a camera happens to be on. It all depends on what you look for in movies.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I love when Avon (in his last scene in the series) is in court and he looks over puzzled and mouths "Marlow?" Three seasons of all out turf war from behind bars and on the street and it's then that you realize he's never even seen Marlow.

There's a few scenes in the flick Cedar Rapids where the character played by Isiah Whitlock (who played Clay Davis "Mr. Sheeeeeeeit" on The Wire) references The Wire including a pretty funny impersonation of Omar. A good chuckle for Wire-folk.
    Damn, I miss that show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar