A what should be dead strategy: Drafting CBs early.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The more I read the more I see people hoping we use an early pick on a cornerback. Why? Cornerbacks are the most disposable position in the NFL outside of runningback. It's one of the hardest positions to play but only if the defensive line isn't productive.
    New England showed during their dynasty(*) run that you can place any decent player at CB as long as you pressure the QB.
    We also saw the same results a couple years back when our defensive line made every DB on our squad look like pro-bowlers.

Our 2 best corners were selected in rounds 7 and 4. Both being very solid even without the pressure up front we're used to. The guy that was originally the starter for Verner this season was 6th round pick Jason McCourty. Vincent Fuller, a very good nickel-back was drafted with the 4th round.

So why on earth would we or any team for that matter use a first or second round pick on a CB? It's an outdated approach and should be used for more value than a CB. CBs usually take a bit longer to see field than other players while defensive linemen can get in fairly early and produce.

We can also look at the DBs we've taken too early:

Ryan Mouton - 3rd round.
    Calvin Lowry - 4th round.
    Pacman Jones - 1st round. (talent and production was there)
    Rich Gardner - 3rd round.
    Michael Waddell - 4th round.
    Andre Woolfolk - 1st round.
    Mike Echols - 4th round.

And on and on. Basically, this team shouldn't even touch a DB before round 4 at earliest due to history alone.

Granted the best DBs in the league are top round picks. Asomugha, Woodson, Bailey (prime), Revis, A. Cromartie, etc. But they're not key to a teams success, imo.

We also really have no need for a DB. Not at CB at least. Safety is a more dire need at the moment if we're going DB.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

You do realize that the statement you just made contradicts itself.

In 2001- 2005 the Patriots had cornerback Ty Law and perennial Pro Bowler, a 2x all pro, and a potential Hall of Fame player. He was drafted in the first round by the Patriots in 1995 and was one of the key corner stones for that defense for years. That's hardly "placing anyone" there is it?
    What CB's were you watching this season? Verner, Finnegan, and McCourty were burned multiple time this season. one of our corner are able to match up against the better wideouts in the league and that is a huge problem for our defense. In fact it was one of the key reasons for why our pass defense has sucked for the last two years.
    Hardly outdated. In the past five years all five of the Super Bowl winning teams have had a CB on their roster drafted in the third round or higher
    Do you know what all of those CB's have in common? They have nothing to do with Prince Amukamara or Patrick Peterson. Also we are really 50% in terms of drafting talent at the CB position and since neither Amukamara or Peterson are a total head case it really a 50/50 chance if they succeed or fail.
    Having a top flight corner can change the game plan of any team facing off against your defense. A shut down corner can basically blanket a teams number 1 threat and force them to go to other options. Their really is o key to defensive success other then pressure but a shut down CB can turn a bad defense into a good defense and a good defense into an elite one.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. 24

24 Starter

Disposable? Tell that to Bill Belichick. In the past 4 years, he's taken 5 DB within the first 2 rounds (Meriweather, Wheatley, Chung, Butler, McCourty). I'll trust his draft strategy before ours. Scheme is important though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

You build your defense from the inside out. Nnamdi is a great corner, so quarterbacks don't throw at him and pick on the rest of the the crap defense around him. The same has happened to Champ Bailey.

Ryan Kerrigan is my guy.

5. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

This draft is stock full of DL and all of the QB's have question marks. If Prince or Peterson are on the board at 8 we'd be fools not to take either one of them. There will always be very good DE's and DT's in round 2 as well as QB's. We don't have a true number 1 corner on this team, on most teams Verner and McCourtey wouldn't even sniff the field unless it was a nickel or dime defense. Finny was awful this season, he's now a middle of the road number 2 corner. So, yeah, we should be drafting a corner.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If you have a strong defensive line it helps the DB's. If you have good DB's it helps the defensive line. My point? It can be Dareus, Peterson (hope to the freaking lord he drops), Amukamara, Paea, etc. but draft defense.

I rather have a shut down CB because that eliminates that part of the field that the QB can go to. If you have a great DL, yes, you will get pressure and rush throws but those not so good DB's will have to make a play.

The dropoff from the top DB unit to the 10th is a lot bigger than the top DL unit than the 10th.

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Gloat I can see the point you're trying to make and agree with you on some parts but your main case (correct me if I'm wrong) is when to draft CB's. Well you listed our CB's and their draft place, our CB's for the most part aren't very good. Finny had one great year and a good year then team's figured him out and McCourty/Verner isn't that impressive and the only reason why Verner is so popular here is because everyone makes a big deal about his smarts. If we drafted Patrick Peterson he might be our #1 CB next year and that's not a joke, maybe not to start but by the end of the season he could be.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Every team needs a shut-down corner. I don't love Patrick Peterson, he reminds me of Antrel Rolle v2. But I really like Prince Amukamara, I would love him.. only if Bowers and Fairley are gone.

9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Fisher can't coach talented players anyways.

10. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Your main argument is a bit flawed, Deuce.

You can build a defense that gets great pressure on the quarterback and has mediocre CBs. This defense can be successful. See: Titans, circa 2008.

You can also build a defense with great cornerbacks that doesn't get much pressure on the quarterback. This defense can be successful. See: Jets, circa 2010.

One way isn't necessarily better than the other. Both can work well enough to win a Super Bowl.

That said, I agree with the argument that CB isn't the Titans' biggest need and using the #8 pick on a CB is probably not the best idea. I also still believe in the abilities of Finnegan, McCourty and Verner, though. Seems like many do not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar