A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

:applause: Yes! Finally someone who gets it. Now if we could just convince the others......

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Lol...

OK, so either

a) you think that one game is enough evidence to decide which player we should spend millions of dollars and stake the future of our franchise on

or

b) you think that two sacks isn't considered being dominant from the linebacker position.

Either way, I think this conversation is finished.

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

The only way I'd advocate a trade down is if we are stockpiling to trade back up into the late 1st round with our 2nd pick as well.

We need an impact player on offense and defense with our first two picks. Rounds 3-7 may be great entertainment, but depth is not really what we need. The quality of some of our starters last year was not far removed from the backups, so between FA and our current guys, we have enough depth. We need 1-2 difference makers, and one of them neds to be a QB.

My ideal draft - Leinart at #3, Abdul Hodge/D'Qwell Jackson with our #2.

LBs will slip. Derrick Johnson was mentioned as a possible #1 overall at this time last year. (He went #15). The year before, Jonathon Vilma and DJ Wiliams were seen as top-10 picks, they went #12 and #17. The year before that, Boss Bailey and EJ Henderson were seen as top half of the first round material (they both went in the 2nd round).

This year, behind Hawk you have Chad Greenway, Demeco Ryans, Ernie Sims, Bobbie Carpenter, Abdul Hodge and D'Qwell Jackson all being picked as first rounders by various experts.

I'd be surprised if more than 3 went in the 1st round, and I think you'll find Hawk go around 10, Greewnway around 15-20 and Ryans or Sims around 25.

If we don't take a QB with our first pick, we are virtually forced to with our 2nd, and I think we'd be reaching for Jacobs or Croyle at the top of the 2nd. If we don't take a LB with our first, there are pleny of legitimate candidates to be had with our 2nd.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Just messing with you, Puck, just messing :winker:

5. Overalls

Overalls Starter

At first I was wanting the Texans to trade down and pick Hawk, but his stock is slipping. My question is though, whats the big difference between picking a DB with an attitude problem with the sixth pick and picking who some are calling a can't miss LB with @ the sixth pick?

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I have no problem with Hawk

but my view is that we need to replace McNair first

7. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

Derrick Johnson slipped because of the teams selecting, not because of 'stock' or lack of talent - it was simply team need.

Jonathan Vilma had question marks about his size, and he needed the personall in front to have the effects he's having now.

8. agreed and the person that i think needs to fill that position is vince young, and mcnair can take him under his wing and teach him a lot which would really benefit us in the long run, which is why we need to keep mcnair around for a little bit

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Here's the skinny on quarterbacks drafted between 1998 and 2002. This is percentage of current starters (or at least in the mix to be starters) by round selected...

Round 1 - 58% (7/12)
    Round 2 - 20% (1/5)
    Round 3 - 17% (1/6)
    Round 4 - 14% (1/7)
    Round 5 - 0% (0/8)
    Round 6 - 30% (3/10)
    Round 7 - 0% (0/10)

This may not be exact, I've got a migraine today, but it should be pretty close. According to this, if you don't pick in the first, wait until the 6th for a Bulger/Brady/Hasselbeck. Haha.

Actually, to even it out, you should probably lump 5-7 together for about 11%.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Like someone earlier pointed out, the more telling stat would be to take every QB drafted to see what percentage actually become starters in the league at some point in their careers.

One strategy that has worked for a number of teams is to snatch up lower pick backups after they've had a few years in the league like the guys you mention as sixth-round picks.

I'd like to see how many lower-round/undrafted backup QBs went on to become starters for multiple seasons. How many Jake Delhomme's have there been?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar