A new strategy, trade down!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And 50% of marriages end in divorce. And every time you flip a coin you have a 50% shot of guessing wrong. Does that mean you shouldn't do it if you feel it's the right thing to do? Nothing is guaranteed. There are risks associated with most everything.

Maybe. Time will tell. I think Young has unlimited upside where Leinart's will be. That doesn't mean both won't be successful though. But this either/or mentality you have is skewed. What about 1983 which put three QBs taken in the first round into the HOF? Every one taken after Elway was a bum?

You want to judge the kid based on seven rookie starts for a crap team? He sucked but he had nothing around him to help take off the pressure. Any judgement of Smith right now is premature.

I guess you'd cut a kid who threw twice as many INTs as TD his rookie year and had a 55.7 passer rating, right? You just cut HOF QB Troy Aikman.

Okay, I'll play along with you here. You play Reese. Bush and Lienart are off the board. You now have Young and Brick and the rest. Who are you going to take at #3?

Remember, you can't trade down for Culter because anyone taken after the first player in any given position is a RISK.

2. maximus

maximus Starter

They are not related. Alex is white, Akili is black.

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I would just like to point out that if they took all the players drafted in 2003 and made them FA's and then redrafted them, Larry Johnson would be a top 5 pick, if not the top pick. Clearly, many GM's made a big mistake to allow him to slide to 27th. There wasn't really any question marks about him coming out of college either, making it even more dubious. That's a rather poor example. =/

4. Ewker

Ewker Starter

twin sons of different mothers :ha:

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Yeah, I'd choke if the Titans drafted Riggs. He's no better than Nash, and maybe worse.

6. maximus

maximus Starter

I think the Titans are smart enough not to draft Riggs. He cant win the starting job at UT, how would he win a job on the NFL level. Injury prone, off the field problems=no for the Titans drafting him

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jeff...

I honestly don't know what your point is. Is that why floyd reese gets a million dollars a year to flip coins? That's the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

We can't eliminate risk but we sure in the hell can reduce it. What is wrong with looking back at history and trying to see if there are any trends? All i did in my first list was name all the QBs taken with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick from 1982 to 2004. Is that not a big enough sample for you? It must be because you think 1983 is a big enough sample to make a point of some kind.

There are 10 QBs on that list jeff. How many do you want on your team? Mcnabb and mcnair are the only players worth a damn unless rivers proves himself. So the odds are even worse than flipping a coin! For every mcnabb or mcnair there is 2-3 pieces of crap. That is a fact! If you have a better formula please show it to me.

Finally let me ask you this jeff. Would you consider tim couch to be a great QB? Because tim couch had to start as a rookie on a first year expansion team and he had more TDs than ints that year. Your arguement that alex smith just played on a crap team is weak. One of the reasons they sucked is because iof him. Alex smith's performance in 2005 might be the worst ever for any QB. But since you love the guy so much i will be looking forward to seeing smith as your starting QB in the titan cup. Should be a blast!

Jeff you object to what you call my etiher or mentality but can you refute that? Name a year like this where there are 2 QBs near the head of the class in a draft and both guys were good. Name one jeff. You won't because you can't. All i did was remove the first pick factor. Guys like elway, manning, aikman were removed from the equation and what do we get? Bust city!

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Akili and alex not related?

Geez thanks guys for setting me straight. I thought i was making a joke but thanks anyway. Akili was black huh? Wow!

Everyone knows that akili and alex are not related. It's emmitt and alex who are related. Or is it jimmy?

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Surely you aren't judging Alex Smith based on one season.

Since you seem to have a thing for stats, how about this. 139/216 and 1564 yards with 6 td's and 12 picks. That would be the reigning MVP of the league Daunte Culpepper.

Everyone has a tough year every now and then. A rookie year is no circumstance to condemn someone.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

especially for a 20 year old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar