A misperception about the Titans' approach

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

you guys shouldnt try to think so deep. keep it simple. it's just a game.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You shouldn't try to think.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. obsolete29

obsolete29 Guest

I'm a big fan of the way that the Titans organization conducts business. Which was the last team that was able to purchase themselves a Super Bowl by signing lots of free agents? Synder hasn't won a super bowl. The Broncos and Jets were pretty big players in the FA market last year if I remember correctly and what did they do?

Build the team through the draft and fill holes with mid level, value free agents. Even with Haynesworth leaving I think we're only a couple pieces away from going to the big game. But honestly, if we're in the mix and we're in the post season on a regular basis I'm a pretty happy camper.

YMMV

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Except for 99, the Titans have been a few pieces away from the big game for the existence of the organization. They have been a few pieces away from winning it forever.

I am amazed how satisfied some posters are with that.

Oh yeah, I forgot. They have just had some bad luck.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

There is no sure way of winning so there is no point in complaining on how you'd do it.
    Because the way you'd do it has been done. Hundreds of times it has been done and most of the time it will have failed.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Complaining and criticism are two entirely different entities. Until we have a Super Bowl ring, it is always valid to criticisize the methods that have not produced that result.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

criticise what exactly? Like I said, no one approach is going to work or fail so criticism will never be valid.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I like what the Titans are doing. They're building through the draft and signing those key free agents. MR IMO is doing okay. His first draft was pretty much crap except Griffin but last year's looks pretty good. He hasn't spent big money on FA and he's drafted pretty good so far. Most of this team is still Reese though.

Look at our major/key players on the team:

Young, KC, White, Roos, Stewart, Mawae, KVB, Bulluck, Thornton, Tulloch, Hope, Finny, Bironas, and I guess if you want to count Hentrich came from Reese.

MR has given us Griffin, J. Jones, CJ, Washington, Kearse (2nd time, 1st Reese), and some other WR's.

It's been hard for him to make an impact on the team but now this is the time to prove that he's going to be a good GM for the Titans. Now that KC is our QB for at least one more year is he going to get him a major WR in the draft? How will he replace AH, if he does? What about our aging LB's? How about the future of Harper and VY? Will LW be a Titan in a couple of years? These are all major concerns and we'll just have to see what happens.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I am going to misremember that article.

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I hated how we were arguably the best team in football in 2000.We really were but the Ravens had our number and were the team we needed to have an extra piece to overcome.It wasn't bad luck we just weren't quite good enough.

The problem was that our way of back loading contracts to manage the cap back then meant that we were already seeing our window of opportunity close as soon as we were a contender.We had no money to buy that extra piece that we needed.

Our current MO will now mean that if we are indeed only a piece or two away from winning it all we'll have the money to make it happen. I don't think we'll ever do it though unless the FA period starts after the draft.Catch 22.

I have to agree.

If you look at the success of the 49ers and Cowboys in the 80's and 90's they had a lot of luck.How often do you see a team get a QB as good Young to follow a QB good as Montana.

How often do you see a team like the Vikings basically give the Cowboys a double draft to trade for one player(Hershel Walker).

Even with those rare opportunities both teams gambled heavily on their futures to make their success continue.DeBartolo as the 49ers owner was even found guilty of cheating to manipulate the cap.Sure they won big but that franchise still hasn't recovered.

Jerry Jones has had no other Success over the same period of time even though his team recovered from cap and he continued to spend big in FA.

The Patriots and the Colts are the models of success in the last decade and both have stayed at the top of the pile longer than anyone else while avoiding cap hell.

The Pats so called 'team first discount' and the Polians willingness with the Colts to blow money on offence yet continually let defensive starters walk in favour of drafted players have kept them at the top level what seems like forever.

The Pats have questions about their SB wins because of cheating and the Colts have only one SB win for all their success in the regular season.

No matter what a team does they have to have a certain amount of luck during the season if the win a SB.

The Steelers were not by any stretch the best team last year season or even in 2006.The Steelers were incredibly lucky to come out of Indy with a win.

They had a lot of luck against the Cardinals this year from what I've read.

Let's not forget that we were winning against the Ravens this year in the play offs until they knocked Chris Johnson out of the game in a very questionable way.The Ravens also had an extra second and a half on the infamous 3rd and 2 in their own half.

Harping on about the past for sure but we had awful luck in that game.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar