A major problem if Fisher is fired

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This thread isn't about debating whether Fisher should be fired. It's about making sure everyone is aware of something that could be a major problem for the Titans if Fisher is fired.

I was listening to the Rich Eisen Podcast this morning and he interviewed Peter King. King said that the current labor troubles in the NFL will mean that no team can hold offseason meetings or workouts with players (at least not until a new deal is reached and that will probably take many months). This could extend all the way to the end of August, meaning that a lot of teams could start the 2011 season without much preparation.

This would be a huge problem for any team that wants to hire a new coach. Teams like the Cowboys and Vikings will probably be okay because they can just promote a guy they already have on staff (Jason Garrett and Leslie Frazier already have a head start at putting their systems in place), but a team like the Titans can't really do that. If Fisher goes, I really doubt Heimerdinger will stay on as head coach.

This will be an even bigger problem if Vince stays as QB. He's had 5 years to learn the current offense and some people still say he doesn't understand all of it. How is he supposed to learn a brand new offense when he can't even have any meetings with the new coach to learn it? That would be a disaster.

I don't know if any of this stuff will influence Bud's decision, but it should. If he decides to keep Vince and let Fisher go, the 2011 season might be a complete write-off before it even begins.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Very good observation. If Bud was to fire Fisher, I would hope that he would make sure that the offense stays there just for that purpose. I would have no problem with Dinger being the interm coach or staying in his coordinators job. I'm still in the air on CC, with the way the defense has been acting up in critical moments the last three games.

3. The_Jerr83

The_Jerr83 Camp Fodder

I agree. For that 1 year have Dinger run the team. Plus the offense would probably open up and we will see less of CJ up the middle play. CC needs to go and have someone else take over as D-Coordinator.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Dinger won't take the job if vince is around. There is just as big a rift between those two.

5. Aqutis30

Well see that's the thing. I am curious to see how the offense would change minus Jeff Fisher. Did Fish really have his hands in everything? This hypothetical situation would be a great way to look at it and be able say whether Fisher had more control over the offense that we thought. Maybe Fish was holding our offense back more than VY?

6. emong

emong Rookie

This is a very good observation. Unfortunately for the Titans or VY, if Bud insists on Fish and VY to "get along" then Fish might leave on his own(and so would Dinger). Hence, the team would be up a creek next year before the season even starts.

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If Fisher goes, I'm guessing most of his staff will go. He's loyal to them and I expect they would be loyal to him. I don't see how Dinger could work with Young, but crazier things have happened, I guess.

8. The_Jerr83

The_Jerr83 Camp Fodder

So all of you guys are telling me that Dinger will turn down a Head Coaching job when given a chance?? How loyal do you think anybody is if they are given a chance?

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Let Fisher take them all! They all suck for the most part. I'd be ecstatic not to have to see the product Alan Lowry the special teams coach comes up with. Marc Mariani & Rob Bironas make that guys job so easy, but he's fudged up coverage for years, wish he'd disappear and take Donnie Nickey too. Fred Graves is another one that I'll even help pack. The only coaches I'd pray we keep would be Mike Munchak, Jim Washburn & Marcus Robertson. The rest are average at best, and you'd never know they're gone. As for a new group coming in not being able to work with the roster til later, that's an issue, but not one big enough to change my feelings towards the group we have now. Time for change! If this also means losing Vince, then so be it. He's played his heart out, and deserves better.

10. Aqutis30

Me personally? I think that Dinger and Fish aren't as close as it might seem. A head coaching job will trump him leaving with Fisher in my mind. I mean why not? The offense is installed with able players and ready to go! This would be his opportunity to do things HIS way. He knows that if he moves again, he has to start all over, unless its back in Denver or New York, but with those respective positions being filled by Josh McDaniels and Brian Schottienhimer you can forget that.

This again brings up a question: Which would you rather have as a HC?
    1. Offensive Minded Coach
    2. Defensive Minded Coach
    3. Game Manager Coach (what Fisher supposedly is)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar