A great story, Collins isn't NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- It's funny how the MVP brushfire works. One commentator mentions Kerry Collins and all the sudden he's part of the national conversation.

Kerry Collins is great guy and a fantastic story. He's playing a smart and efficient brand of quarterback. And while I still don't expect the Titans to make a serious bid at 16-0, I have reached the point where I don't think it's ridiculous to consider the possibility.

But Collins is not on track to be the league MVP, and that his name is coming up suggest to me an unwillingness by some to take a deep enough look at the Titans.

It's not so simple as picking the quarterback on the league's best team (or the AFC's best team if you remain convinced the Giants, with one loss, are better than the undefeated Titans).

I mean no offense at all, but Collins isn't close to the most valuable player on his team, better yet in the league. The super-disruptive defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth keys the defense, which keys the Titans. And the guy who's transformed the offense isn't the backup-turned-starter at quarterback, it's the rookie running back lining up behind him.

Chris Johnson is dictating the way the Titans are being defended. And when teams have sold out to slow him down or limit the possibility of him outrunning their defense - Chicago wasn't the first, Baltimore and Indianapolis did pretty well at it too - Collins can make the throws to take advantage of coverages that are more willing to take their chances against Bo Scaife, Justin Gage and Brandon Jones.

Collins deserves huge credit for his role in what's going on in Nashville.

Wins are the most important number, and he's collecting those at an impressive pace.

But a quarterback with as many touchdown passes as Detroit's Dan Orlovsky (five), a completion percentage lower than rookie Joe Flacco's (59.3 as compared to 62.1) and a passer rating (78.8) not even five points better than the benched J.T. O'Sullivan shouldn't be getting MVP votes.

More...

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

A Kusharky article I agree with. Weird. Warner should be the MVP.

3. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

im not jumping on the Kurt Warner bandwagon yet

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I'm all over the Kurt Warner bandwagon, the dude can strait up play and it seems like he throws for 300 yards every week. Hes started something like 104 games and has broke 300 yards in something like 50 of them. Outrageous. The Cardinals look like a powerhouse offense with Kurt Warner leading the pack, give the man his props

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar