A first for Verner: reps at free safety

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Cornerback Alterraun Verner took some reps at free safety for the first time in his life during Titans OTA on Thursday.

“It’s definitely different,” Verner said. “It’s night and day from being on just one side and looking at it from one angle. You see everything from free safety.

“But it was a fun learning experience. Like I was telling our safeties, I have to give them a little more respect because I was thinking ‘This is going to be cake back there,’ but they gotta do some stuff from that position.”

The move isn’t permanent, but it could lead to some more reps at free safety for Verner in an effort to expand his versatility. Tommie Campbell spent most of the day at cornerback where Verner played last season.

Free safety is a position Verner can play, coach Mike Munchak said.

“He’s smart, he’s good and he’s athletic, so he tackles well,” he said. “Then all of a sudden you can put three corners on the field or you can maybe do other things you couldn’t if he wasn’t that versatile.”

The 5-foot-10, 187-pound Verner is smaller than most safeties, but he is a thinking man’s player with a history of making good plays on the ball — traits that would serve him well at free safety.

“I have no idea if they’ll use more of it,” Verner said. “They haven’t really approached me to say, ‘We can do this to get you in a game,’ or ‘We’re going to do this in certain packages.’

“I think it’s something the coaches want to see if I can do. This is the time to experiment, in OTAs.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Does this mean Griffin moves to DT now?

• High Five High Five x 6
  3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Verner can call this "an experiment" all he wants, because he may actually end up playing FS if that Griffin dude plays like he has been playing as of late.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I could see Wilson takings the free spot from griffin. Verner could definitely be a difference maker in the back of the secondary. Doesn't have that great of speed but I imagine he's as fast or faster than griff

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I actually believe Griffin plays up to par this year for some reason. But, I'm glad to see them trying out Verner at FS (even though it's only OTAs) not because I want to see him at FS, but because it will motivate Griffin (that's if Verner looks decent playing it)

6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I could imagine griff's panties must be pretty bunched lately lol

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Verner is the only member of the 2012 Defensive back group that I do not hate.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

If things go as well as a lot of people here expect, Griff will absolutely beast it. He plays great as long as things are going well around him and people are praising him. When things start to fall apart, he falls apart.

9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I doubt anything will come of this, but it's definitely interesting. Verner is not a great man-to-man guy. Man I hope Campbell, Wreh-Wilson or Sensabaugh can play man without getting torched. That would be so great for our D, and then Verner can play nickle.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

wait a minute, does this mean we have a second cornerback that's better than Verner?

Thatd be some nice news if true

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar