A conditional 3rd for McNair?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wplatham, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

#90 Camp Fodder

Cut Sirmon, restructure Olson or Piller or Bulluck and we've got the money to keep McNair and sign our draft picks. The Ravens do not have all the cards. And I bet Vince doesn't sign until late in the offseason anyway, so we do hold some of the cards. Meet in the middle - take a straight 3rd. Ravens get what they could have potentially given up if McNair pans out, and we get the 3rd we lost for Henry this year. Do it!

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

That would be a sweet deal. I think it's more than fair. He did make the probowl last year and I think that is helping from a promotional standpoint. I'll get to watch him a lot here in DC, but I don't think I can root for him as a Raven. If he got to the superbowl I may just have to do it tho' cause it could mean the HOF. I'm torn. Cause I really hate the Ravens.

3. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i still say he stays....

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Titans might deal McNair
    <Jun. 3> An arbitrator's ruling forcing Tennessee to allow McNair to re-enter its headquarters may prompt the Titans to finally deal him to Baltimore, the Tennessean reports.

The Titans haven't given up on restructuring the contract of the veteran QB, but they are also very worried about the possiblity of having to absorb McNair's $23.46 million salary cap number if he got hurt on their property.

With voluntary workouts looming next week, the Titans will likely spend the next couple of days negotiating with McNair before deciding on their next course of action.

"I'm sure we'll try to get in touch [with McNair's agent]," Titans general manager Floyd Reese told the Nashville City Paper. "What we've said is that we'd like to sit down and have a face-to-face and see what happens."

However, McNair has already agreed in principle on a deal with the Ravens that would earn him an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary in 2006. All indications are the quarterback is ready for a fresh start, and is merely waiting for the Titans and Ravens to work out a trade.

The Ravens reportedly have offered a conditional fourth-round pick that would escalate to a third-round pick based on McNair's playing time. The Titans want a third-round choice that could bump up to a second-rounder.

5. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

As what? A 10th alternate?

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

did you see his performance in the Pro Bowl ?

he fumbled over half the snaps from center

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Mac does not hold the cards in this scenario. Floyd Reese still holds the cards. Just by restructuring Bulluck alone we can sign all our other draft picks besides VY. Thus we can easily hold onto Mac until just before training camp when VY signs his deal. I would think that it is not out of the realm of possibilities that some other team steps up and inquires about Mac which would force a bidding war between the Ravens and the other team. Remember last yr the Jags showed interest in Henry and Reese immediately upped his offer to a 3rd. Their is a record number of cap dollars still available and I'm sure plenty of teams would love to have Mac for a cap hit of a little over 3 mil which is what his Ravens deal is.

8. smili

smili Starter

4th with potential for a conditional 3rd is about what he's worth - and Mac should be the starter there. You can't predict injuries, but I think that's about the the right value. I'm guessing they're discussing things seriously if that's on the table - driving to how many games/snaps/injury/etc triggers the 3rd.

If I'm in Baltimore this makes a lot of sense to me to make the 3rd conditional. I'm betting we wished we made our 3rd round draft pick for Henry conditional too.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I remember this time last year when people were saying Volek was easily worth a third-rounder and maybe a second.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If I'm Reese I take the deal and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar