A closer look at RB Shonn Greene

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Is Shonn Greene the answer for the Titans, who are seeking a complementary running back for Chris Johnson?

The Titans could certainly do worse than the 5-11, 226-pounder, who’s piled up 3,243 in his first four seasons in the league. Greene is scheduled to visit the Titans today.

He’s a powerful, durable runner who is one of just seven NFL backs to have posted better than 250 carries and 1,000 yards in each of the last two years. Greene is in pretty good company there, as the other six backs in that category are Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, Chris Johnson, Frank Gore, Steven Jackson and Ray Rice.

Greene is also good near the goal line, which is one area the Titans would surely use him. Despite the fact that teammate Bilal Powell had over 100 carries, Greene still scored a career-high eight touchdowns last year, which is just two fewer rushing TDs than the Titans scored as a team.

Another stat which might be of interest: The Jets converted 16 of 17 third-and-one rushes last season, a conversion rate of better than 94 percent. The stats I was looking at didn’t detail which ballcarrier was used in those situations – I’m sure some were quarterback sneaks – but I would guess that Greene got the majority of attempts.

The argument could be made that Greene already has a lot of wear and tear on him. But he’s only played four years in the league, so I don’t think that’s a huge concern. In addition, he wouldn’t be the feature back in Nashville. He’d only be seeing part-time duty.

Should the Titans wait and simply draft another back? One could certainly make that argument as well. But they’ve tried a couple of times in recent years with Javon Ringer and Jamie Harper, and haven’t had too much success.

With Greene, they know they’re getting a proven NFL back with power. And if they feel like they have enough money under the cap to make that move, it may well be worth it.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar