A Closer Look at Jake Locker

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by EdRomeo, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

^^^
    4:30 in the first video when he throws the 15 yard out from the opposite side of the field. Very nice throw.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What was Locker's winning percentage as a starting QB at Washington? Your post implies that he has a winning % like Mcelroy. Look it up.

There are a lot of great kids who just didn't have good nfl careers. Brodie Croyle's family run a camp and school for troubled kids. Most QB prospects in this draft had were great kids, smart with high marks for character but only one has a losing record as a starting QB.

I don't like the fact we have to defend our 8th pick in the draft by blaming the team he played on.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjuBOsFyLY

I don't think there was that much difference between Locker as a prospect and Ricky Stanzi. I guess we could boost Locker up by saying that every other QB in the draft is a gutless loser and are serial rapists. Fact is they all were winners and just about all of them had strong character traits.

Stanzi has almost ideal size for a QB and was a solid player in the big ten. His less than ideal arm strength caused him to fall to the 5th rd but nobody doubts his accuracy.

Palmer said the first thing he needed to work on with Jake Locker was accuracy. WTF a top 10 pick?

Of course Palmer was instrumental in drafting a small school QB in 2000(3rd rd) who didn't even complete 50% of his passes in college. That kid was a total waste of a pick but he was a winner and he could run! Spergon Wynn was his name.

4. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Did you watch the Cal youtube clip?
    I posted it because its one of the games thats available that Palmer mentions in the article.

Did you read Palmer's interview?

As you may know I broke down several QB prospects (by charting at least one game) last year b/c I thought the Redskins would be in the market to draft one.
    Stanzi was one of the QBs I charted.

There is a huge amount of difference in Stanzi and Locker as prospects.
    Measuring a prospect is about physical skillset and although you may not see it nor accept it but Jake Locker was one of the 4 elite QB prospects in this draft (Newton, Gabbert, Mallett). Locker has elite physical attributes that include throwing motion, arm strength, playmaking and running ability to go complement the other NFL requisite skills.

Playmaking is considered by many prominent to coaches, like Bill Walsh, to be the most critical trait that can make a QB great.

Stanzi is an efficient QB (rivaling Luck in this area) that played in a pro-style offense.
    Stanzi has classic over the top throwing motion w/ an average arm.
    And although Stanzi is also well protected he wasn't given the Fort Knox type protection afforded to Andrew Luck.
    Not a great athlete he moves around pretty good and can throw on the run.
    The main thing keeping him from the top tier QB in my eyes is lack of elite arm strength and limited playmaking ability.
    But seems like a post 2nd round-mid-round QB that can come in and execute your offense w/ efficiency maybe even as rookie (ala Kyle Orton).

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ed, you're easily becoming one of my favorites to follow on here.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I love how he didn't panic when he thought he went blind, and cared about getting the 1st down as much as anything. I approve of him taking that risk of injury to keep the drive alive. Hopefully Jake understands the NFL is a different game, and the LB's will murder you if you put your neck out like that.

7. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

That throw was a humdinger its a reminder of the type of throwing motion and arm strength Locker has, there aren't alot of pros that could make that throw.

Locker also made one of the sickest throws I saw all year against Oregon State where he's rolling to his right and throws a 20+ yard laser strike to Kearse for a TD:
    Jake Locker sideline toss vs Oregon State @ 2:55 mark:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqhmUW3vIM&feature=related

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That throw rolling to his right is not a difficult throw at all. He has a big window to throw through and he throws best on the run. the receiver was running in the same direction as he was.

I would hope that any QB drafted can make that throw.

So what are we doing here excusing any incomplete pass as being the fault of somebody else and calling a routine pass "sick"?

This is a sick pass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1eYvnRQZbc What Locker did was routine.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Thanks ed for showing Locker fumbling the ball in the other teams red zone. Great pick!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Locker's helter skelter running style needs to change some. You look for where the first down is and you run to that spot and slip out of bounds or slide after.

Steve Mcnair did not run like that. This hero mentality probably does come from when he had no players around him his first 2 seasons but he had some players the last 2 seasons. And he absolutely needs to stop lowering his head like that and he should never dip his throwing shoulder into a tackler.

This idea that he has to juke every tackler or run over every tackler will put him on the sideline and it hurt his team in that Oregon state game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar