A Closer Look at Jake Locker

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by EdRomeo, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm not sure how reliable one opinion is like that regarding what is catchable. 41 dropped passes? And 17 dropped passes for Luck seems like too few.

What is wrong with that thinking is that all Qbs have dropped passes. You can't look at Locker's stats as if he and only he had an abnormal number of dropped passes while other QB prospects had fewer than normal.

I assume that about 10% of decent passes are dropped.

What about errant passes that are caught anyway or dropped balls by the defense that should have been picked? Should we just manipulate this any way we want it? And don't some QBs throw a more catchable ball?

WR Deandre Goodwin caught 60 balls back in 2008 for Washington when Locker didn't play much. He had 44 catches this year.

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Is it even relevant in the real world scenario of what the QB does after the snap?

Gabbert got 48. Just another reason he's been over rated IMO.

The Wonderlic is a meaningless stat.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Who cares? The nfl thinks that it is of some value they use it and players feel compelled to take it. Have a top QB prospect refuse to take it sometime and see how he falls.

It is the tool the nfl uses to test intelligence so when a player scores lower than other top prospects maybe we shouldn't be harping on how intelligent he is.

Gut thinks it matters he bashed Newton's 21 as being substandard.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Vince Young made RollTide think the Wonderlic matters.

5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Let's sign a couple of rocket scientist and take it to the Chip!!

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

I'm just pointing out what I'm seeing. I don't know his offense and how much they judge on pre-snap reads. I know he said in gruden's QB camp that he can call a HOT if he thinks he needs one and maybe that guy was his HOT. But I've heard from Locker fans his WR's stink, he has no OL and no one is ever open. So just pointing out he didn't read the blitz pre-snap. In offenses that use HOT's, a lot of time you will throw to the void left by the blitzer. Depends on your offense and it's design. But yes, some throw away from the blitzer to buy an extra quarter of a sec to get the ball off and not risk a tipped ball.

Again, I agree with you in principle. However, I don't need the endzone shot to know if he threw an accurate pass. I may not be able to tell you if it was inside or high but I can tell when the WR can't catch it. I can also tell in most cases if someone was or was not open. Of course it's not the ideal situation but people wanted to 'break down' the film for discussion so we all have the visual - which is fine for what we're doing.

Good points though.

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

It is designed to test your ability to process information quickly and accurately. I would say this has a LOT of relevance for what a QB has to do after the ball is snapped!

The NFL doesn't think it's meaningless or they wouldn't use it. There is a reason they put the franchise benchmark at 25. Franchise QB's with a score below 25 have had about a 90%+ bust rate in the last decade. I'd say that has some relevance to the discussion.

But also understand that the Wonderlic is NOT a predictor of success. Getting a 50 doesn't mean you'll be a hall of fame QB nor does it mean a guy getting a 50 will be better than a player with a 26. It simply means the NFL thinks you need to score of 25 or better or you will likely fail as a franchise QB.

Gut

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

LOL! I 'bashed' him? I simply pointed out that a 21 is below the NFL standard for a franchise QB prospect.

So if you point out that a WR who runs a 5.0 40yd dash is running below the NFL standard for a franchise NFL WR, that's bashing someone?

Gut:sad2:

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I appreciate the input but I personally place zero value on it.

Players are coached on how to take the test just as they train specifically for the combine tests.

Surely scouts should know if a player is made of the right stuff from watching games and game film.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If you are comparing Locker's 21 score as being the same as a WR who runs the same speed as an OL guy I'd say yes, that is bashing him.

Look Tide isn't like Hitler...(more like Stalin, his idle) and we can examine Locker down to what shampoo he uses. But what difference does it make? I'd even say someone doing hours of review of Locker now need their head examined. The pick has been made. For better or worse he is the guy who will show up for practice and games whenever we get back to that. Are you guys flipping nuts?

...Look, Locker made a read (his head turned left and then went right) and threw a good pass....better color that green...
    my God get a life. Then Gut re-evaluates it and get high fives. Are you kidding me? People are giving standing ovations over this stuff?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar