9th home game of the year this week?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by zackmann, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

Do you think it will really be full of Texas fans cheering for the Titans (Vince) instead of for the home team. I guess being here and from TN I don't really realize the hype surrounding Vince down there since he plays for another team. I mean I understand the hype here in TN but he is OUR QB and has done some great things so far this year, but I can't imagine that many ppl packing the Texans home field and cheering for the opposing team. I would be quite amazed at that.

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

well i talked to a friend in H-town yesterday & he said the the city is beyond HYPED for this game with VY coming home & all

#10 was god to some people down there...

god i can't wait to see Bob McNair's face if VY outperforms Carr on sunday, that should be classic....

3. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

There has to be at least 10X more Vince Young fans in Texas than Houston Texan fans. Except for a tiny minority of civic-minded Houstonians nobody else really gives an at's rass about the Texans. Meanwhile for hundreds of thousands of Texas Longhorn fans, Vince Young is the savior who delivered the Horns' their first national championship in 35 years.

Not to get too religious, controversial or offensive, but this game is kind of like the next best thing to the second coming of Christ.

4. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Post like this are the ones that are driving a number of Horns away from Vinny. Get over it he is just a guy that play good football.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

If you read the message boards in Texas Hooky is actually correct. Since Vince played high school and college in Texas, he is revered there. Now that the Texans are struggling, they are even more unforgiving about them not taking Vince. While Texan fans may not wear Titans jerseys, you can bet you are going to see a lot of burnt orange #10's in the stands.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Texans fans.. don't forget to get loud at 15..
    Do it for Vince! Your Savior! Your redeemer. Your Liberator!

7. Hooky Hornstein

Heh! Let me guess. Overalls = Houston Texans fan.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but this deduction is a no brainer.

1. denial. Just about the only people in Texas who downplay Vince Young's popularity in Texas are hardcore dyed-in-the-wool Texan fans.

2. fear. If you weren't worried that the Texans will be drawfed by a multitude of adoring Vince Young fans, you wouldn't even be here.

You remind me of this guy, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle who's calling out Houstonians and telling them that "true Texan" fans would never cheer for the Titans.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4382153.html

HA! Little does the man seem to realize that the very fact that he has to write an article saying that Texan fans should never cheer for the Titans underscores the very real fear he has that Texan fans will do that very thing.

Well, I don't know about Titan fans - because frankly outside of the Houston city limits, they're practically non-existent - but I do know about Texas fans.

You see, Overalls, while you are merely a Texans fan trying to speak on behalf Texas fans (and possibly projecting your own feelings in the process), I actually am a Texas fan and one who is in daily contact with hundreds of other Texas fans.

Trust me when I tell you that Texas fans still absolutely adore Vince Young and will assemble en masse to love on him and support his new team, the Titans.

You see, what you - as the fan of a five year old franchise with an all time winning percentage of .290 - probably can't fathom is that we - the fans of a 113 year old football program that has an all time winning percentage of .714 - highly revere and are insanely loyal to our football legends. And how the heck could you be expected to understand that? I mean what kind of pride could a Texan fan possible have?

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Go a little easy on Overalls, he's been a fan much longer than the Texans have been a franchise. Not his fault that they didn't exist. I'm betting his counter will be that Texans (NFL) fans are former oilers fans, and should not cheer for the team that left them. Texans (NFL) fans' NFL loyalty shouldn't collide with a college player. Your statement that Texas (NCAA) fans will support Young and the Titans is true, the question is, how many Texans (NFL) fans are Texas (NCAA) fans, and how many are not, and what will those who are both do? That's why the showing sunday will be interesting.

Side note, Overalls, would you agree that those who are Texas (NCAA) fans and have no prior ties to an NFL team are valid in now cheering for the Titans? I don't see any betrayal in that.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see this Texans/Young thing much different than the Manning/Titans relationship. The only difference is that the Titans didn't have a shot to get him in the draft.

We still see Manning UT jerseys in the stadium when we play the Colts and there are areas of the state who are more Colts fans than Titans fans because of him. I would expect the Texans will experience much of the same.

10. Hooky Hornstein

Okaaay. I can try. But remember he was the one who said…

You can’t expect a Houston Texans fan to contradict a Texas Longhorn fan by making an asinine and unsubstantiatable comment about Texas Longhorn fans without expecting a swift kick in the pants.

Titan fans, just look around at all of the Texas Longhorn fans who have invaded your board to gush over Vince Young and tell me the truth. Do you really think any Horn fans are being “driven away” from VY?

Look, I’ve posted some of these links before and I’ve been hesitant to post them too much because I don’t want to look like a spammer but if any of you really want to know what Texas Longhorn fans really think, check this out:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4657932&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

That link is a link to a thread where a Texans fan complained on a Texas Longhorn forum about all of the Titan bandwagonning. You’ll note the guy gets lambasted by about 200 posts posted during a 48 hour span.

Now go to the list of threads and notice how very many concern Vince Young.

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=football&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0

I might have been misleading in my prior post when I said that Texas fans “highly revere and are insanely loyal to our football legends.” You see, Texas fans are so accustomed to the likes of Chris Simms, Nathan Vasher, Roy Williams, etc… that we can almost take them for granted. But a guy like Vince Young only comes along once in a lifetime.

I’d have to say the all-time greatest Longhorn legends are Bobby Layne, Tommy Nobis, James Street, Earl Campbell and Vince Young. Well, which one of the five is still playing football?

And what with Texas on a two game skid and headed to a crap bowl, Texas fans are all the more excited about Vince Young.

So tell me, Titan fans, do any of you see any evidence anywhere that Horn fans are being “driven away” from VY?

Of course not. That's absolute hogwash. So excuse me for saying so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar