9 vs 10

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

With VY's second season done and some people happy with his progress (count me in that group) and some ready to say he is already a bust, I decided to do a little stat comparison between McNair and Vince. I know Vince had his troubles this year, too many int's, didn't run enough, at times poor decisions. But here is his stat line 2546 yards passing, 238-382 for a completion % of 62.3. Compare that with McNair's 2000 season (and note that you have to go to year 5 before you see comparable stats) with 2847 yards passing, 248-396 for a completion % of 62.6. While the lines are not exact they are close and my point is that McNair was a "work in progress" with great potental. Vince is that also and he like the Titans are by my way of looking at it several years(I didn't see playoffs until next year) ahead of schedule. Also consider that McNair had Wycheck and Mason to work with. Note that Vince's stats are much better already than McNair were even during the 1999 SuperBowl season.

2. TitanPhoenix

TitanPhoenix Guest

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing those stats!

Hopefully, we will see some positive additions to the Recievers this year through FA and a good TE from the draft!

Looking forward to next season.

3. dgood

dgood Guest

The only reason the Titans made the playoffs this year was the defense. Any QB with as many INT's as Young had should not be a starter in this league. We lost out on a good QB by not picking up Cutler or Lienart. Floyd Reese was a genious during our his term, why didnt we listen to him about Young?

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Floyd picked as many duds as he did studs.

Young is on track to be a great QB but he's still a work in progress.

Cutler isn't the 2nd coming either & Brainfart has looked terrible before getting a season ending injury.Have a little patience man.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

did you actually look up NFL stats before stating that?

Kitna, E. Manning, Palmer, Anderson, Romo and Brees all had more INTs than VY. E.Manning and Romo joined VY into postseason play.

I agree that VY threw some picks, but just over 1 a game not like 2-3 a game or anything. Cutler threw 14 leading his team nowhere and Lienart threw 4 INTs leading himself onto the IR. Stating Floyd "I'll take Wilfolk number 14 overall" Reese as a genius is no way too gain any credability - neither is stating that Romo and E. Manning should not be NFL starters.

6. Big TT

That Genious also signed Fred "false start" Miller, and allowed Runyun to get away to philly, eddie was never the same after Runyun left town.

7. What are you smoking? Reese a Genius? What. This is the same guy that killed our whole team. Getting us into cap hell. Loosing out on top players in the draft. Picking up duds in free agency. You call this guy a Genius. Now that is the funniest thing I ever heard.

:ha: :ha:

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Back on subject..

The stats provided are woefully incomplete. Vince has 17 ints in 382 pass attempts. Mcnair in his 2nd season as starter threw 289 passes with 7 fewer ints.

There are similarities between vince the last 2 years and mcnair in 97 but in 98 mcnair stepped up his game and became a top 10 QB even if nobody acknowledged it at the time.

In 97 mcnair had a 70 passing rating. Vince had a 71 this year.

I honestly don't think the mcnair of 98 was all that different from the mcnair of 01-03. I just think he had better receivers to throw to. Compare mcnair's 2002 numbers when everyone thought he was mvp timber to his numbers in 2000 or 98. basically the same quality of play..

9. Big TT

Better recievers, why didn't any of us think of that.:grrhee: , Brilliant.:ha:

10. wg53

wg53 Starter

Do people here not realize that the reason why Vince's completion percentage was high this year is because of all the short passes he throws?

The main passing play was a bootleg to the right that hit either a FB or TE in the flat 2 yards down the field.

The further you throw the ball down the field the more likely it is that it is an incompletion.

He throws the ball short repeatedly = higher completion rate.

This is the same reason David Carr was leading the league in completion rate during the 2006 season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar