4th for McNair???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by aloving77, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Everyone wants to place the blame on the Titans, but make no bones about it. Steve and his agent want to leave because Baltimore is offering more money and years. Until now, the only thing the past 2-3 seasons we have heard from McNair is he is thinking retirement only to have him decide to come back. Now suddenly he wants to play 3-4 more years? As a starter? We just drafted a QB at #3 and no matter how "raw" he is, you can't pay a QB taken that high to sit on the bench for 3 years waiting for your old QB to decide to retire. At some point the team has to start thinking of the future. I hate it because I would LOVE to see Steve stay, but this is what happens. Happened to Joe Montana, can happen here. And watch....soon Green Bay will be doing the same thing if Farve suddenly says he wants to play a few more years.

I really hate this situation. I wish they could just come up with a 2 year deal, make everyone happy and then McNair retires and Young takes over.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The thing to remember here is the longer we keep McNair from becoming a Raven, the longer we keep Collins or whoever from being a Titan. If Bud was serious in mentioning a vet QB would be brought in, it's to the team's advantage to make it happen.

I hope the Titans give negotiations with McNair one more serious shot then release him later this month so some of that money is there for June cuts.

I don't think we need to see a bad situation get worse by holding McNair just for spite.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

If we were willing to take a 4th, he is as good as gone. Floyd must not see a way to make enough space even at a pitifully lower market value.

McNair's market value is better than even a 4th and the Ravens know it. I agree TJ, holding McNair to drive his value down to so that we can afford to keep him no longer seems the best play for the team. A VERY sad day for me.

Anybody heard what the Ravens are offering contract wise for him?

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm just hoping this is some kind of huge bluff by Cook.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

This sucks. I really thought that after the draft we'd see a change, that we'd be going in for "one last shot" at renegotiation, and something would get done. I want McNair to spend his entire career as a Titan. And of all teams, THE RAVENS? I know, they want him, and Mason and Rolle are there, but that hurts. I know football players get really picky about being pushed to retire when they are ready (we all watched playmakers, right?), but I wish Steve could keep up his reputation as a classy guy who gave his all for this team. He could play two more years, making starter money, and then he would be the NFL legend in nashville. People here don't have as much connection to the old Oiler guys, and almost had it with Eddie, but Steve could have cemented his place in Nashville for the rest of his life. Too bad, I'll miss the guy, and hate playing against him.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

heck I would have taken a 4th round pick for McNair..something is better than nothing

7. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

Question:

Say for example we did make a trade with the ratbirds, and we got the fourth round pick.

The ratbirds would pick up his existing contract. Correct?

Of course they would structure a brand new contract when he is in their camp.

My question is, if we make a trade, would we have any money, whether prorated dollar or dead money, on our books?

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yeah, that would be nice but Wyatt doesn't reference his source regarding our willingness to take a 4th for him. The only hope I see is the excerpt from the article-

"If trade talks with the Ravens don't produce a deal, Reese didn't rule out the possibility of reentering negotiations with Cook and McNair, though neither side is optimistic about coming to an agreement.

McNair wants a contract that will include guarantees in future years, and so far the Titans have been unwilling to offer such a deal. Now that Young is aboard, that probably won't change
    "

I am disappointed in Steve seriously contemplating retirement last year and now wanting guarantees to start in his contract. I hope he will understand it is just business when I want KVB to knock him out of the game early this fall.

9. Caphorn

Caphorn Guest

Good point. You're looking at a probable cap casualty. If you look at cap casualty trades around the NFL a 4th is a good deal. The Bills got a 5th (1st pick) from the Texans for a solid receiver in Moulds because he was going to get cap-sized anyway.

If there's a way to re-structure under the cap, then count me in as 100% in favor of keeping McNair.

10. DirtySouthBoyz

DirtySouthBoyz Luv da' Rock

uuurrrrrrhhhhhhhh ! ! !

:irked: :irked: :irked: :irked: If only we would of treated McNair better.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar