40 times are overrated. Forget about them.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'd be interested to see a 4.3 WR and a 4.6 WR run a 10 yard and In route at the same time and see who gets to the middle first.

2. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

The difference would be negligible as it is only over a short period. Quickness and agility would win this matchup.

40 times are in the grand scheme of things not that important, but you sure as hell don't want to be chasing a guy who runs a 4.2 when hes running in the open field for over 50 yards....

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

You got me. I play right tackle. But it is also just as obvious you haven't played on the offensive line. Unless I'm blocking one of the down lineman (which isn't but about half the time), I'm sprinting to the next level to cut off a linebacker. And when you're a 270 lb. tackle (talking about myself, obviously there aren't any 270 lb. tackles in the NFL) you've either got to sprint full speed or miss the block. Then there's also the pulls, which are nothing but a sprint.

Honestly, I don't think you can judge a player JUST by his 40 time. But I don't think it's irrelevant either. Maurice Clarett is a good example. You pointed out that you were the fastest skilled player on your team, but you weren't the best. I never said it was all about speed. You've obviously got to have ball skills to be a good skilled player. But to say speed doesn't matter at all is simply ridiculous.

LOL, am I the only one who isn't the fastest DB on their team?

4. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

I never played football, but I wasn't the fastest player on my baseball team. I was the fastest one riding the pine though. :ha:

5. haha, that works also, how about we say wplathm was the fastest lineman on his team

6. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Hmm, I wish I could claim that. I've run in the 4.9s, but our C/DE runs a 4.7.

7. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

yeah my best was like a 4.8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar