40 times are overrated. Forget about them.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

They sprint every play. Maybe not forty yards, but they are sprinting every play.

And just for the record, Vince ran 4.47 without ever practicing to run one.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

They do not sprint on every play. Maybe on a blitz. That's the only time you're going to see it on defense until it's too late. (Lamont, Hill, etc) And you guys keep giving examples of guys that moved up, but suck in the NFL. Basically making the point - 40 times are getting less and less credible as years go by, because every time a team takes them seriously and moves a player for it, they end up regretting it.

Commentator Michael Smith basically said the same thing I'm saying last night on the NFL network. Made me feel good. Said that the coaches have already seen their game speed, but the combine lets them evaluate how competitive they are.

3. wplatham

Ok, hold on. Just for the sake of argument, what do you define as a "sprint"? When I watch football, it looks like most of the players are sprinting. Ends off the edge, linebackers to either the ball or in coverage. Safeties and corners at some point are going to sprint while covering, though they usually start with a backpedal. Running backs obviously sprint when they run the ball, receivers sprint in their routes, lineman sprint to the second and third levels of the defense.

I don't know, just the way I look at it.

4. Deuce Wayne

You're not sprinting when you're running through traffic. You're not sprinting when making contact with an offensive lineman. You're not sprinting when you're looking for the ball, unless it's already in the air. You're not sprinting running routes as a receiver unless it's a deep route. Rushing from the outside would be sprinting if you didnt have to make a move, and you'll always have to make a move. Running backs never sprint until past the trenches.
    I don't know, if you've played football you'd understand.

5. wplatham

Not only have I played football, I still do. I think we don't have the same definition of a "sprint". I've always thought of a sprint as "running as fast as you can". I didn't know that making a cut or a pass rushing move means you don't ever sprint. No, they don't sprint 40 yards, but I still consider running fast as you can for five, ten, or twenty as "sprinting".

6. and thats the definition of sprinting, if we went by his definition then vince's td run against the texans wouldnt have been a sprint because he had to cut a few times

7. Deuce Wayne

No, Vince's was a sprint because he was heading one direction and only needed to move a different direction after he was already at top speed. LB's do not sprint often. WR's do not sprint often (when running routes you do not go full speed) RB's NEVER sprint until past the trenches. CB's never sprint unless chasing. Linemen will never be at a sprint unless unblocked, and how often does that happen?
    If you played football, you probably didnt play a position that required speed. But, the only positions that require speed require more important things than speed. Odd how that works out, but it does.
    I ran a 4.5 in high school. People to this day are impressed by that. Why? I wasn't even the best receiver/safety on the team even though I was the fastest. I rarely got to use that speed to it's peak. Just doesnt happen often.

8. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

sprint

1. to race or move at full speed, esp. for a short distance, as in running, rowing, etc.

how long does it take to get to full speed? 5-10 steps? anything more than that at a sustained pace is a sprint IMO.

9. ur definition of sprint is completely wrong gloat

first of all its like texdude said its getting from point A to point B as fast as possibe. So yes a LB does sprint, and ur wrong about WR they are suppossed to run routes at full speed... how else are u going to get any seperation to get open?? And then i guess CBs dont sprint when they get an interception or are breaking on the ball.

Yes i did play football and i played S, CB, WR, and RB so making the assumption that i played a position that doesnt require any speed is a completely false statement because i also was the fastest on the team in each of my positions... and yes there are things about football that are much more important than speed, but to say that these players are not sprinting is completely ludacris

10. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I forgot but somebody made a great comparison about the 40 time, and game speed. He connected it to the NFL but I clearly remember he said take basketball for example. Allen Iverson is so quick in his movments in any direction, because you don't just run straight lines in basketball, you cut and cross over and things like that. But I think he said in football, besides running a straight route, players can be quick in other movements, but not great running straight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar