40 times are overrated. Forget about them.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

A 40 time isn't going to boost anyone up the board. Sorry, it just won't happen. Maybe years ago, when it was impressive, but now that it doesn't matter, nobody cares. Sure you can't run a 4.6 as a receiver, but running a 4.3 while being a nobody or mediocre college receiver isn't going to move you much.

I wish they'd just go ahead and do away with it all together.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

there is more to the 40 than the actual time. the first ten yard time(which i dont think are made public) are more important. it shows what type of exlposion a player has, especially for d-linemen, CBs and WRs.

3. Deuce Wayne

But it's a sprint. A sprint is used how often in the nfl? Special Teams and on deep passes...especially if you're lamont thompson. We've seen it over and over though, a good 40 means nothing come game time. And some players have game-speed rather than track-speed. Vince Young isn't fast on the track, but on field, he looks like he'd run a 4.3.

4. there are a lot of things that people can do to shave time off of their 40 from what i have heard

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you're right, they are overrated, but they are not useless. that's all i'm saying. i think everyone knows track speed is different from game speed.

6. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

You better believe that the 40 time can boost someone up the draft boards. Greg Olsen just made himself a possible 1st rounder by running a 4.45.

7. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

The draft is not based soley on 40 times, but they can make a difference in how you are percieved and they do indicate that you have the ability to creat seperation on the field at this level.

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Robert Meachem, who have performed against top collegiate competition and running sub 4.4 forties means a hell of lot. It sayd that they are big time prospects who can make a differencce on the field. The scouts also like to see how you poerform in agility drills to see your quickness, agility, and stamina. Yo can see the competitor in the person as they perrform.

When you get to it, the 40 times and drills merely validate the opinions oof the scoutsd about the players that they have heard or suspected all along. It helps put them at ease when it comes time to pull the trigger and draft them.

8. Deuce Wayne

The combine in general is a silly way to measure a prospect. Unless you're already on a team's top 5 list, your performance there won't make much difference. Teams had 3-4 years to see what you were made of in actual games. Some skills competition isn't going to sway them.

9. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

You guys that think 40 times don't move people up the draft board...seriously, have you EVER watched the draft or read about it? That is far and away the single biggest mover of any of the drills! The NFL analysts (Prisco, for one) don't call it "the dash for cash" for nothing.

Matt Jones, and Vernon Davis are two GLARING examples from the last couple of years (ntm our own Tyrone Calico)...And if the scouts and websites get all excited about an Offensive LINEMAN running, what do you think that's going to do for skill players.

Seriously, the 40 counts. It shouldn't, but it counts.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

That is possibly one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen. Players move up OR down the draft boards every year because of 40 times. Even OL are upgraded or downgraded because of their 40 times if they happen to be extremely good or bad.

We could argue if the movement is always valid (and certainly 40 times are over used not under used) but if a scout is looking at two players with similar physical attributes except for their 40 times being significantly different it does make a difference. Meachum moved up with his sub 4.4 without a doubt. On the other hand if he had run a 4.5 or greater he would have slipped out of the 1st round for sure. I wouldn't bet against Meachum getting picked ahead of Sidney Rice a comparable sized WR who ran a 4.45.
    How about Dallas Baker, you think his 4.65 40 will help or hurt him?

The Titans drafted Hill and Finnegan in the 7th round in consecutive years to a large extent because of their 40 times. Impressive 40 times make a big difference if some guys get picked at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar