4-3 vs 3-4 Which Defense is Best for Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewHorizans, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

For as long as Fisher has been the coach, the Titans have gone with the 4-3 Defense as a way to consistently slow down the run game, which the Titans have done very well over the past decade. BUT, it seems like every year we would lose to a well formed passing attack where players are not in the right position or simply get beat especially to a good TE. Many teams still use the 4-3, but over the past few years, it has been clear that the TOP Defensive teams are using the 3-4 Defensive set (namely: Packers, Steelers, Jets, Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Chiefs, Cowboys, 49ers, and Texans).

If you look at that list of teams, 6 were playoff teams, 3 of the 4 playing in Conference Championship games. Year after year, teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Chargers & Patriots have consistently produced very solid Defenses, while injuries and Offensive mistakes make for a few bad years, you can't argue the success of all of those teams. SO, I ask you now, is it time for the Titans to think about going to the 3-4??

With the new coaching staff almost in place, its time to think about what our new DC will want to do with our Defense. No Fisher means its totally up in the air. We could continue with the 4-3 or maybe start the process of moving to a flex 3-4 until we have the proper personnel.

For years, the Packers ran the 4-3 and always came up short it seems, while 2 years after introducing the 3-4 they go on to win the Super Bowl. Not only did they win the SB, but they were statistically ranked the #1 D last year. While the Steelers were the #2 ranked D and the Jets were the #3.

In fact, the ONLY D last year that was in the top were the Bears, and if you look back at years the Bears have had, its very similiar to the Titans. When all our main guys are healthy and the schedule is right, we do well, while injuries and having to play against top QBs leave the 4-3 open to weaknesses.

NOW, I want to mention that the 3-4 is not perfect either. Teams like Bills, Cardinals, and Browns also run 3-4 yet can't seem to win games when their key D players get hurt. Having the right personnel is totally a must for a successful 3-4.

SO after all that, which Defense do you think the Titans should use?? And which do you think is overall better in the current NFL right now?

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

A few things.

First, unless you have a unique system, it doesn't matter what formation you play as long as you have the personnel to run it with the only question being how good the coordinator is. Look at the teams you listed...the Steelers and now Packers are the only teams to run unique 3-4 zone blitz pressure defenses. Why? because they have the 2 Defensive Coordinators who developed it. The Ryan brothers also use a unique blend of 46 and 3-4 zone blitz (though Rob is more of a 4-3 guy). So Pitt, GB and the Jets have unique defenses AND excellent coordinators which is why they are SO tough.

The Ravens have good personnel and are still running the same scheme Rex Ryan left. Ngata, Suggs, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are 4 of the best defensive players at their positions.

But look at the Pats this last season. Even with Belicheck, an offense that scores a zillion points, and a 3-4 formation, they have not been the same D for a while.

There are only 2 good reasons to move to a 3-4. First, it is easier to disguise coverages and that is helpful when going against Peyton twice a year. Second, it is easier to get a dominant 3-4 OLB in the 2nd or 3rd rnd since most college DE's are 3-4 OLB sized. Fewer college players are 4-3 DE sized with 1st rnd talent so they are at more of a premium.

The downside to moving to a 3-4 is we don't have the proper personnel, would have to waste a year trying to make the transition, and most importantly, how good is our DC at running it?

Gregg Williams with the Saints is as close to a 4-3 Dick Lebeau as there is in this league. He's run 4-3, 46, and via nickel and dime packages zone blitzes. Since Gray learned under Williams, I think we will stick with the 4-3 and start being more creative based on the personnel we have. However, the CBA could have a major influence on how much our D gets altered versus how much it gets cleaned up. I think our defense has a lot of talent but would make too many mistakes - especially against good teams. The most important word I heard out of Gray's mouth was ACCOUNTABILITY! We haven't had that in a few years and that alone will make this defense better!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Neither system is superior to the other. It's about having the right guys to do it. We have the guys for a 4-3 and we should run it as our main defense.

There's nothing wrong with being flexible, but trying to transition the guys we have into the 3-4 is going to be ugly to watch.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. 24

24 Starter

Fit the scheme to the personnel, not the personnel to the scheme. The 4-3 is our best option right now. Also, I disagree that both systems are equal, the 3-4 offers versatility that the 4-3 doesn't. The 3-4 is also notorious for being plug-and-play.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We've had this debate 100 times already.

4-3

6. TNTitanFan

TNTitanFan Camp Fodder

To run a 3-4 defense, we would need 2-3 additional LB's and a run stuffing DT to even consider changing. THis might be possible I agree with Gut that Gray is most likely going to stay with the 4-3 based on current personnel.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I would enjoy seeing the change, but right now, I think it is better for our personnel. If we are going to change, now is the time. Take our lumps and go with it.

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I highly doubt we see a wholesale change to a 3-4 system, but I'd love to see us throw in a few 3-4 and other looks into our current defense to give us an element of surprise. And from what Munch has said, I think there's a chance we see something like this.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

This.

Those 3-4 defenses (the good ones) have been good because they basically draft from a different pool of players for much of their defense. The more teams that go to 3-4, the better 4-3 LB's and DL's will fall to us. Manning has historically struggled against good 3-4 defenses, but he's struggled against our defense when we were play well. A good defense is a good defense.

I wouldn't worry about Manning as much anymore anyway. While he's still playing at a high level, he's getting old, and their own defense is falling with Dungy gone. If there was just one other decent team in the AFC South this past season, they would have taken this division.

All that said, I've often thought that if this team transitioned to the 3-4, it could be good. We've typically drafted a lot of fringe players at DE, which is why we play them so wide. A typical 4-3 defense would have Jason Jones playing end. Nonetheless, I don't think Gray has ever been part of a 3-4 defense, so I wouldn't look for this to happen.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

If we drafted Von Miller we could have a quick transition into a 3-4.

It's not that hard to do... but with the current personnel, I guess we have to stick to 4-3. I'm sick of it, personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar