3rd and1, shotgun

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Jwill1919, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I am not gonna nitpick this call or several others. There are several things I DON'T like about our playcalling at times, but they were daring us to pass and trying to stop the run. Seriously, this and a few other 3rd and short throws we did NOT convert should have been gimmies. They only aligned 2 players against our trips with one player deep. I'm sure Mett had a run pass check. They stack the box, we throw for the first. With 2 defenders against our trips...can you say zone meaning one guy short will be open. KW was wide open and Mett threw it a little too long. He missed several other wide open passes I can't blame on the WR's. Clearly losing DW affected him (decision making/security blanket) a lot! What I was hoping had been growth in the first half fizzled in the 2nd half. This season has been 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards.

No one would be questioning these calls if we completed the passes and kept driving the ball. These are high school level plays we are not executing and execution is the name of the game.

Our 2nd half was doomed by execution, indecision, penalties, the refs and then the Ravens. Virtually all of our 2nd half drives had a penalty or a sack. And the refs killed us on a few plays as well (Delanie caught the ball, no flag for hitting him in the head, no facemask or roughing the passer call when Mett was taken down by his facemask, etc)! We are not good enough to overcome all of those things.

We probably passed out of the shotgun because Ngata gets a lot of penetration and we were getting passes batted down and this would be a short pass. So catch the snap, decide who is open while you adjust grip and fire.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Rudad

Rudad Starter

The rusher made Mett ater his throw on the 3rd and one. Didn't have time to set to throw. Yes was overthrown but had to get rid of it. The one to the TE Coffman was behind that was a bad throw .

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The OL IS an issue, but CJ was too! He rushed for 100+ yards only twice last year. He rushed for over a 4.0 ypc in 6 out of 16 games...meaning in the other 10 he was poor. We were 4-2 in the games where he rushed for 4.0 ypc or better. We were 3-7 in games where he rushed for less.

Now I can see WHY you'd think it's the OL and not CJ. But look at how he did against Houston. First game against Houston...25 carries for 96yds and a 3.8ypc. Last game of the season, after he decided he was gone because he wasn't taking a paycut), he ran harder than he did all year against a top notch run D and put up 27 carries for 127yds and a early CJ-like 4.7ypc. If he had run that hard in 10 of our games we probably make the playoffs. But he didn't. Once he got paid, it was over for him. He's just a name with an occasional flash and he'll be on the open market again next season after the Jets cut him.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Did he have a guy baring down on him? Yes. For an NFL QB that is an easy throw. Part of growing pains for a rookie. And that is WHEN he's supposed to make that throw so it wasn't like he had to throw it early.

He made some nice throws in the first half but almost none in the 2nd and he missed several throws he should have completed. He also took sacks he shouldn't have taken along with OL pnealties and OFF PI all hurt us and killed our drives (along with LWash's pf).

5. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Because CJ is blowing up in NY right? Right.....?

6. Rudad

Rudad Starter

I'm not saying Mett is the answer. We are evaluating him. This is an evaluation process in our whole team right now. Yes he is a rookie, and was his first game on the road . Hoping he progresses and gets better. That's what we should see for our team. Improvement . If it don't happen we need to repace the ones who don't.

7. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

If Bajakian loaded up the line and threw them in the power I, that scrub offensive line would get their lunch money taken.

At least with Dobbs you can pretty much guarantee the DE isn't getting the stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar