375 On The Colts Run Defense?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Don, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

Here is a great line from the Indy paper after that Jags flattened them:

"Right now, the Cincinnati Bengals offense is so excited about playing the Colts, they've committed to staying out of jail."

2. Matty

Matty Guest

ahhahahahahahaha thats awesome

I think everyones looking forward to playing Indy now...

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

FF advice- Play Rudi!

We actually need Indy to flatten cincy.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:ha:

we are not going to make it so i'd rather cincy flatten the colts.

5. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

Even I think that's funny.

I'll take 10-3 for now. The Dome will be rockin' on Monday night when the "We Wanna Be Like The Colts" Bengals come to Indy. I'm guessing the Colts put together a solid win and quiet the critics. Bad as the defense is, the Special Teams and Offense have to start doing their part, too.

6. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

I know alot of discuss how Schwartz wont change his gameplan during a game... But what about the Colts DC? Did he just refuse to come out of cover 2 and bring up some help, or did he, and it just didnt help?

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it didnt matter what the colts did, they just couldnt tackle to save their lives.

8. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

Injuries had us down to our 6th safety by the end of the game. Bottom line: The linebackers did a horrible job from the get-go....and then it got worse.

9. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

that would be one heck of another "Manning Meltdown" if the colts lose to the Bengals.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Basic Design Flaw...

Dungy thinks because he had a dominant D in Tampa he can use the same design here. Problem is, he doesn't have Derrick Brooks, Sapp in his prime, Simeon Rice, Ronde Barber, and John Lynch.

And his scheme is well designed when you have a lead...get pressure with the front 4 and play zone behind it letting your awesome players do their thing. He also had Monte Kiffin running that D.

The biggest problem the Colts are having is the design of the their D....they rush the passer and depend on the LB's and S's to clean up the mess. And they have played a lot more cover 3 dropping Sanders down into the box because of it. Even then, you're giving the offense a big advantage by not having the DE's even looking for the run. Many times we've seen teams use a TE to the strong side who inside releases and the line drops back...luring the pass rush and the LB's to drop outside (to their coverage responsibility) making it easier for the RB to get big yardage on the draw since now the TE has perfect inside leverage on the OLB, the DE is up the field rushing and out of the play, and if the MLB doesn't make the play, it's off to the races! And against strong running teams (who make it a habit of getting to your mlb) this is a huge problem. And yes, if the back 7 don't play well, you're dead.

Funny thing is, the Titans were the ones to really hammer this home since we fell back 14-0 and still came back running the ball (whereas everyone would pass more...playing into the Colts' hands). How would the Colts handle LT in San Diego and still cover Gates? I'd love to see Larry Johnson against that D!

But yes, the concept that by the 2nd quarter the Colts would have a lead and the other team would be playing from further and further behind is an arrogance which is quickly being shoved in the faces of the Colts and can certainly lead to the fingerpointing that can wreck a good locker-room.

And Manning is really starting to feel the pressure of his team being gashed and falling further and further behind. Another performance like last week and we might see Manning calling HIS DC an idiot!

Gut

PS - I love watching the Colts meltdown.....one of the few joys in a sub-.500 season (so far)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar