32 in 32: Tennessee Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

You act like Locker has never taken a snap in the NFL. He had playing time last year. He played well. He was moving the ball better than Hasselbeck. He's already shown that he won't be a complete disaster. He's got short range accuracy issues to the right and left sides of the field do to footwork. It's not the end of the world. He can get it worked out, but he's not going to do it on the bench. He's not going to learn any more sitting on the bench than he has already over the past year.

You're out of your mind if you think Jake was drafted as a project. He was drafted to be our frachise QB. You don't draft projects 8th overall.

The problem here is that we, or at least I, don't think that there is any chance that Hass will take us to the playoffs, let alone finish the season. Hasselbeck only beat ONE team with a winning record last year, and would have gone 8-8 if the texans 2nd / 3rd string wouldn't have handed us the game. Why are you so sure that we will make the playoffs with Hass? What did he show you last year to support that? He beat one good team, lost to some bad teams. He looked good in some games and horrible in others. 1/3 of his drives resulted in a 3 & out. He's a one dementional, inconsistent, aging QB past his prime. Sorry if that sounds mean, but it's the truth. The whole "go with the vet first" mentality is outdated. No other team does that anymore. Jeff Fisher is gone, but his backwards outdated ideals still linger. Perfect case in point, our coaching staff played Barrett Ruud over Colin McCarthy. They chose to play the vet that they payed over playing the talented rookie. We saw how that turned out. Was starting the vet the right decision in that case?

If Locker starts and struggles, you can't go back to Hass. But why would you want to? If Locker struggles, you give him every opportunity to succeed. If he still can't get it done, you keep looking.

Hasselbeck is not the future of this team, Locker is. It's time to move on from average. It's Locker time. :yes:

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

How can you say that Aaron Rodgers needed over a year to be ready? He probably could have started from game one for all we know. Rodgers was on the bench because Brett Favre, an elite HOF QB, could have led them to the SB at any given time. Also Peyton manning didn't need over a year to be ready. He started from game one. He might not have played well at first, but starting him from game one didn't hurt him. He only got better.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Brett Favre had two awful years with Rodgers on the bench, I am not sure why you keep bringing him up.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I doubt Rodgers as a rookie would be all that great. When he came into the league his arm strength wasn't all that great. A lot of the throws he makes today wouldn't be there and as a result I bet he'd have thrown a ton of interceptions early on if he didn't get to sit and develop. Obviously that isn't Lockers issue, but was Rodgers.

5. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Favre had a good season in 04. Rodgers was drafted in 05. Obviously they were going to continue starting Favre in 05. Despite making the playoffs and going 10-6, Favre did have a bad season, mainly because of a huge amount of interceptions. Do you think the packers should have made the switch to Rodgers in 2006, following that performance in 05? He might not have played like the usual Brett Favre, but he did play better than Hass did last season. Favre threw for more yards, more TDs, and had a similar average, while going 10-6 and taking his team to the playoffs. In 06 Favre played pretty badly. If you have an average QB at the end of his career, you make the switch. If you have an elite HOF QB capable of taking you to a SB at any time, you keep him in. I'm sure you know how Favre played in 07. That's why you keep your elite QB as the starter over the young inexperienced QB. When you have an average 37 yo. QB like Hasselbeck, you don't give him the benefit of the doubt, because he will most likely disappoint.

I only bring Favre up when people use the "Aaron Rodgers sat for 3 years, and look how that turned out" excuse. I'm just saying that Aaron Rodgers sat because he was behind an ELITE HOF QB.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I'd rather start it now.

See, even in the unlikely event that Hass can sneak this team into the playoffs (I don't think he can... he couldn't last year, and our schedule is much tougher this year) we are an early exit at best.

I'd rather get the Locker process going, so that in a couple of years, he is at his peak, while hopefully all the weapons we have around him are still in Nashville and still in their prime.

And you are assuming that starting Hass gives us a better chance at the playoffs than Locker does. I don't agree. I think we would have made the playoffs last year if they had started Locker the last half of the season.

So you think Rodgers arm strength got better sitting on the bench? What, did they have a special clipboard made out of lead for him to hold to make his arm stronger or something?

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. RTH

RTH Meh...

To be fair... you can't simplify if like that.

Yeah, he held a clipboard... but he also practiced A LOT... he worked out - possibly more and focused on particular muscle groups... and his mechanics were fine-tuned.

Why? Because the coaches are - potentially - MUCH better for individual positions in the NFL than in college.

Can't simplify it like that... that's not fair.

I'm not arguing one way or the other, at the moment... but, gotta put it all out there.

Also... as for Hass almost getting us to the playoffs... I believe we had a winning record BECAUSE of Hass. People seem to forget that there is an entire team around him...

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I know his arm got stronger while learning as a backup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

9. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

No, we had a winning record BECAUSE of the Texans 2nd/3rd string handing us the game. Without that we also wouldn't have even had a shot at the playoffs. We might have if Hass wouldn't have put up a gutless performance against the winless pathetic colts team when we needed a win in the worst way. Hasselbeck didn't play well enough overall last season to deserve a winning record.

10. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

His arm would have also gotten stronger while starting.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar