31st in the league in sacks..scheme vs. personnel

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

So the Titans ended the year with 28 sacks which is ranked 31st in the league.

So is it the scheme that caused these poor results or was it personnel?

Did teams pass less against us because they were able to run the ball so well against us and thus we had less opportunities for sacks.

When I heard about Gray wanting us to be bigger upfront and then drafting Akeem Ayers, I assumed that we would be running a bunch of different blitz packages. It didn't seem to happen.

Can you really get bigger across the front 4 and not blitz more and still get pressure. It seems that most of the 4-3 teams that rack up the sacks are smaller/quicker up front.

How do we fix it?

I'd be for drafting another rush LBer like Courtney Upshaw and letting him and Ayers be our attacking OLbers almost like a 3-4.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You answered your own question.

The way you fix it is by having the players know the scheme. This defense was new to every one of our defensive linemen.

3. Titanman29

Titanman29 Camp Fodder

Draft Donta' Hightower from Alabama with 1st pick, and acquire the best FA Safety. Michael Griffin has played horrible the past two years, last years Pro-bowl selection was a joke. Letting Babin, who had more sacks than our whole defense alone was a big reason. Upshaw would be another good pick, but you have to retain players after they ascert themself. If Tennesee continues with another lackluster FAgency this year, attendance will plummit. You can't continue to let key players go and expect to build anything. Tennessee fans are beginning to see the Bud Adam's philosophy.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Babin is a one trick pony. He plays the wide nine technique and only pass rush that's why he has inflated sacks. What's the point in drafting 3 4 rush linebackers who can't cover when we run a 4 3

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I think the question we need to ask ourselves is "was getting bigger up front to stop the run worth the downturn in sack numbers?" To me the answer is "no." I think I'd rather have a guy like Babin, who, though terrible against the run, will at least raise your sack total. Why not have one guy who is sold out to get the QB, while the rest of the line stuffs the run?

6. JCBRAVE

Neither the Steelers nor the Packers sign many free agents, and attendance will never be hampered by not signing free agents.

7. JCBRAVE

IMO yes it was.

And having Babin made our defense quit several times last year. No one wants to line up behind a guy who you know is going to get knocked down and allow the tackle to get to the next level and knock you down. Playing behind Babin is demoralizing to LB's and DB's.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

We tried this before and we got destroyed in the run game you have a guy playing the wide nine and all you do is run off tackle. Our de are not good enough yet and we need a better dt than marks to go beside Casey

9. therealtrueblue

therealtrueblue Camp Fodder

na this was our first year doing this. We did not have to resouces to Truly "get big up front" right away. we have Jones at a new position, Morgan coming off an ACL tear, Casey a Rookie trying to play NT, and marks is a draft bust. we need to personnel for it to be effective.

Babin may have made sense this year but after that i dont think he would have been much use.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Honestly I don't think it's the scheme so much as the personnel. Casey has been impressive but he was also just a rookie. Smith and Marks just weren't enough to get a consistent push from the middle. I think that we should have just left J. Jones at DT. He didn't do nearly as well playing DE.

Getting a true run-stuffing, pocket-collapsing DT will help out a lot. I've heard someone say Pouha and I agree that he would be a great fit. But we've also got to get a true pass-rushing DE. I love Ball but he's nothing special. Klug deserves more playing time at DE. Whether we address DT and DE through FA or the draft doesn't matter to me as long as we do more than throw guys like Jovan Haye and Shaun Smith in there.

DT was a big need coming into this season and I love the Casey pick but we shouldn't have stopped there. We're still weak in the middle and it's still a need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar