3 people in mind...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by VA_Titans, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

D-line was he biggest issue last year, no question. Our defense is only as good as our D-line.

As unentertaining as drafting a DT-DE would be, I think we'd be better off with one. And that hurts me to say.

our DBs would look like All-Stars again if we could get a good pass rush.
    Plus, I think the coaching staff is too prideful to bench Finnegan, and Verner and McCourty have not looked bad at all.

If they're gonna go defense, I think you have to go DT-DE and ditch some of the dead weight of the current roster (especially if Babin is not retained):
    Senderrick, W. Hayes, J. Haye.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I agree 100% with this.

3. OhioTitan

OhioTitan GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

If he falls to us, i think Fairley would be our best bet. The one thing our D-line has been missing is a dominant DT like Haynesworth was to us. Bring in Fairley and also we get back Morgan at DE who looked promising, we could have one of our more dominant D-lines in awhile which helps upgrade just about every other position on the D

4. pettso

pettso Starter

Deja vu.

5. 24

24 Starter

DT take forever to develop. Remember how useless Haynesworth was his first 4 years? I would much rather trade for Haynesworth, draft the BPA on defense (Quinn, Bowers, Amukamara), and hope for the best.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

That's not necessarily true. Haynesworth's problem was motivation and lack of effort, not being unaccustomed to playing. There are plenty of young DTs that can perform well.

Getting Haynesworth now will require time to get him back up to speed, if it ever happens. He basically took a year off.

If anything, I would say DL takes some of the least time to get ready to play.
    I would dare say it's much harder to go from a good college CB to a good NFL one, than a good college DT to a good NFL one.

There's a lot more brainwork as a DB, and as A D-lineman, you mostly cover a gap on the run, and rush on the pass. That is oversimplifying it, but basically that is that. You line up in the right spot, and go (occasional stunting)

7. 24

24 Starter

I guess, but just looking across the league, I see players who struggled early on. Suh was the exception, he stepped in and performed. But, players like Glenn Dorsey, Darnell Dockett, and Brodrick Bunkley all took time. Granted, some of them had injury problems (not ready physically?), but combine that with the fact that the bust rate is pretty high for first round DT (Dewayne Robertson, Amobi Okoye, Travis Johnson, John McCargo, Justin Harrell, Kentwan Balmer), I just don't trust DT early on. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I've always been wary of taking DT that early.

8. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Which is why we should just go BPA available on defense.

Here are some reasons why...

Defensive Line- Babin is a free agent and even if he is re-signed we're not totally sure if he'll continue to play at a pro bowl level. Morgan was our first round draft pick last year but was injured early and even though he's surrounded by hype, just like Babin, we don't know. Marks so far has pretty much been a bust, Hayes did okay, Jones did well, and that being said most of our guys are either inconsistent, injury prone, or questionable into next year. Plus a stronger DL makes our DB's look better and play better .Marcell Dareus is the guy I want unless Fairley is there, if not, we go DE and Dareus should be available. He was hurt over the season but still had a good year and a monster bowl game. Him with Morgan on the other side would be a QB's nightmare.

Line Backers- Not really the biggest need and not many LB's to draft #8 but eventually this position must be addressed. Tulloch is a free agent and I'm sure he'll be back but if not we'll need someone.

Corners- Even though I do like Finnegan and think he can bounce back next season his play is still a concern. I would rather play it safe this year and draft a CB like Amukumara to possibly replace Finny if he continues to struggle, if not, maybe an upgrade over Verner/McCourty.

Some want a QB taken but let's just take a quick look at who's out there...

Mallett- Okay I really like this guy and he could be a good QB but do we really need to draft another QB with character issues? I know it's not that big like VY or Cam but that's one reason. If you watch him he can't stay in the pocket when pressure comes everyone knows if you rush him you beat him. He's big but his foot work needs a lot of help and he can't get out of trouble. Even though he has a big frame he goes down easily.

Locker- I guess people view him as "A good player on a crappy team" now he does have crappy OL and WR's but just looking at Locker and comparing him to last year...has he improved? I remember watching him last year and this year and to be honest I'm not seeing it. Yes he could be one of those guys that is better in the NFL but is he worth the risk at #8? Also is there any QB who doesn't have any mechanic problems? Sometimes his throws can get pretty ugly.

Newton- Okay I can go on for days just with his issues so skip to his play. Sometimes skills from the college game doesn't transfer. Vince, Leinert, Tebow (so far), etc. This guy relies on running over people and doing that fake step and throwing the ball. Can anyone imagine him putting up numbers against the Ravens defense? Steelers? I'm not seeing it. QB's that have to rely on their legs to win games in college can't in the NFL, sorry but it's true. There are some exceptions but the guy is a highlight reel player. He had a good offense around him and got a few lucky bounces, if they would've lost some of those games that they should've then he wouldn't be mentioned in the 1st round (Vince Young anyone?).

Also with Fisher's job on the line do you think he feels good enough to draft a QB? That's usually what new coaches do or coaches that can actually afford the risk. Fisher won't do that but just maybe Adams will, we'll see.

In the end the better and safer pick is defense. You can't win games without a defense and who knows we might go get Orton, McNabb, Flynn, or whomever else.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar