3-4 DE's and where they're drafted

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JCBRAVE, Mar 24, 2015.

?
  1. Hell yea!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Forget that, give me a 3-4 DE I can watch rote away as TN sucks again

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Did this just for fun to see where the best value in this draft comes, so if you're interested here are my findings. *

There's tons of talks going around that USC DE Leonard Williams (6'5" 302) will be the pick at No.2 overall, but hold on a minute, how many 3-4 DE's can you name who went as high as 2nd over all?

Good thing Im here to help.

Below shows the first 3-4 DE's taken in each draft and the pick they were selected with.

2014 - 29th - New England - Dominique Easley (6'2" 290)
    2013 - 13th - New York Jets - Sheldon Richardson (6'3" 294)
    2012 - 11th - Kansas City - Dontari Poe (6'3" 340)
    2011 - 11th - Houston - JJ Watt (6'5" 289)
    2010 - N/A
    2009 - 3rd - Kansas City - Tyson Jackson (6'4" 296) LOST HIS JOB TO SHAUN SMITH IN 2011:disappointed:
    2008 - 5th - Kansas City - Glenn Dorsey (6'1" 297)
    2007 - 16th - Green Bay - Justin Harrell (6'4" 315)
    2006 - 12th - Baltimore - Haloti Ngata (6'4" 340)
    2005 - 20 - Dallas - Marcus Spears (6'4" 315)

Fact of the matter is; 3-4 DE's just dont have the same vale other positions do. Two years in a row Kansas City was burned by taking 3-4 DE's high, and how many wins did that translate to? The answer was six wins in two years.

Then what do we do at 2? The answer may surprise you, we trade up to No.1 and take Winston. :spit:

Thanks to the new CBA this may be what really shakes out, top picks in the draft no longer receive crippling $50M contracts, so even in the event we get this wrong and Winston busts, not much is lost.

So whats it going to cost us to move up one spot, not a lot. Our 2nd pick holds almost the same value as the top spot, so package our No.2 overall and our 3rd rounder and suddenly Tampa Bay has the most feared DT duo in the game. Marcus Mariota would also be a good fit for what Tampa has going... Win win if you're the Bucs... So why not..?

*Findings still in work

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'd be all for trading up for Winston, but I just don't see it happening.

3. JCBRAVE

for SOME weird reason it never dawned on me to move up a spot, but now Im starting to think we could do it.

We know Winston fits our system, we think Mariota could eventually work out here, but to be taking a guy at 2 you better KNOW.

Whats it to us if we pony up a 3rd to secure a franchise QB? Its well worth it IMO, otherwise we're blowing another 3-4 years.

Mariota in Tampa or Williams in Tampa all makes sense. Gerald McCoy and Williams at DT's, OMG terrifying, thats got to be enticing to Tampa, plus they'd gain an extra pick.

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Dorsey was drafted to be a 4-3 DT with the Chiefs. They changed to 3-4 the year after, when they changed HC.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

Well, they still need a QB as well so they would say No. Hey Tampa, wanna give up a franchise qb for an extra 3rd? Yeah, think about it from their perspective, which is the same as yours. Not a chance in the world they do it.

6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I have a few issues with this post ...

1st of all, I don't see the relevance to where the 1st 3-4 DE was drafted in prior years, and this year's draft. The draft is all about perceived value/fit, and what other talented players are in front of you. A player that goes 1st overall in this draft, could slide out of the top 10 in next years draft due to who happens to enter (among other variables).

So I think the better comparison, is considering where past 3-4 DEs would go in a RE-DRAFT situation, then compare Williams to those players.

For example, if we re-did the 2011 draft, do you think that JJ Watt would still go 11th overall? Hell no, he would probably be a top 2 pick ... on the flip side, if the 2009 draft was redone, then Tyson Jackson wouldn't go #3.

Is LW closer to Watt, or Jackson? Or maybe he is closer to one of the other 3-4 DEs drafted over the last 10 years, it doesn't matter where that player was drafted, what matters is what they have done SINCE being drafted.

The 2nd issue I have with your post ... So the Titans shouldn't consider drafting LW at 2 because "3-4 DE's don't have the same value as other positions" but yet, you expect the Bucs to trade back and select Williams with the exact same spot you think Williams position isn't worth? .... You can't have your cake and eat it too. ... But then the kicker is how you go on about how selecting Williams at 2 for the Bucs would be some great thing for them (right after you say a 34DE should never go that high lol)

I really don't see the need of trading up one spot, and its not something you see happen often for a reason. If the Bucs really want Winston they will take him at#1, a 3rd round pick won't change that decision ... Same goes with either of the other 2 players (MM/LW). If the Bucs want them, then they will take them.

If we traded our 1st and 3rd up to #1 to get Winston, then the Bucs likely wouldn't have taken Winston anyway ... so its like basically throwing away a 3rd for nothing ... Which actually sounds exactly like something Webster would do, so I would not be surprised to see this actually happen

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. 615nick

615nick Starter

I think its more likely that tb takes anyone besides winston. If they want winston and think hes a franchise qb, then it would take a ton to move up. If they aren't going to take winston then he'll be there for is at 2. With that said i think there is a very slim chance we move up to 1.

8. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Basically, This thread does not get the Titan43 seal of approval

• LOL LOL x 2
  9. JCBRAVE

thats not even a thing

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'll give you that drafting a 3-4 DE at #2 isn't the smartest move, but LW is an elite prospect.

Trading to #1 is hilarious though.

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar