3-4 Defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by citizenthom, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I've always wanted to switch to a 3-4 becuase it seems like we're limited on the players we can draft when running a 4-3. It almost seems like 4-3 players can make the transition to 3-4 but not the other way around for some reason.

That being said, if we do switch to 3-4, if Khalil Mack or Anthony Barr is there at 11 I bet we pounce on them. They could fill the Aldon Smith, rush LB role. I also think a 3-4 really plays better to Ayers strengths. I know he had a bad year but I blame most of that on Parlavecchio because none of our LBs had good years and actually took a step back.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

That's what i'm hoping for now.

1st: Barr or Mack (if they're gone, trade back, pickup 3rd, draft a NT or OLB in mid/late 1st)
    2nd: QB
    4th: OT/RB
    5th: OT/RB

FA targets: MLB

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Personally I think if we were to move to a 3-4 defense then we should keep Brown on the outside as our SAM linebacker and more Ayers inside to be the TED linebacker. In a traditional 3-4 the TED's job is to take up blockers to free up the MIKE linebacker; this the TED has to be a bigger, stronger linebacker that can fight his way through blockers; IMO that is Akeem Ayers skillset word for word. This would also let us use Zach Brown on the outside where his speed can be used to rush the QB. Zach Brown is a good blitzer in the 4-3 but I don't know in he can fight through blockers in the 3-4. As for our second ILB (the MIKE backer) I would like to see Zaiver Gooden get a shot at playing inside for that role. If he could had about 5-6 lbs of muscle in the offseason then I think that he would have the ideal size to play the MIKE spot and could us his amazing athleticism there

That puts us with needs at NT and WILL linebacker and those can be easily filled in the draft. At NT my target would be Paul Soliai from the Miami Dolphins. Soliai gives us that big 340+ pound monster in the middle to take up double teams. At LB I would cross my fingers and pray the Anthoney Barr out of UCLA falls to us but if not I would try and trade back to take Vic Beasley out of Clemson.

DL: Casey | Soliai | (Comp between Morgan, Big Po, Martin, and Klug)
    LB: (Beasley/Barr) | Ayers | Gooden | Brown

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

If I had to line up a 3-4 D today, it'd look like this...

RDE - Casey, Klug
    NT - Hill, AJ
    LDE - Pit, Martin
    ROLB - Ayers, Brown
    RILB - Fokou, Brown
    LILB - McCarthy, Fokou
    LOLB - Morgan, Edwards
    RCB - Blidi/Coty/or Campbell
    LCB - McCourty
    FS - Griffin
    SS - Wilson

The biggest problems we have are that our LB's are not ideally suited to the 3-4 in that ideally we'd move Brown to the RILB spot and Ayers to the LILB but neither player has played those spots. brown has the athleticism, speed and acceleration to be a difference maker there (think Timmons on the Steelers) but he hasn't shown the discipline in run fits and the determination to take on blockers of an ILB. Ayers is an easier transition since he DOES take on blockers but his ability to read the right run fits is a question. The benefit to having them on the inside is their ability to blitz and cover. Morgan is a good fit as a LOLB as he'll be lined over the TE more often then not and he's been good taking on blockers on the strong side. Let him rush from further outside the RT and he should get a lot more pressure. The problem is the other side. I think Fokou could also be good in an ILB spot but is better suited to the RILB spot. McCarthy stays a backup. So could we have the personel to man 3 of the spots well? Yes, but that's IF Brown and Ayers can make those transitions. If they can't, that's a lot of talent wasted. I don't see the Gooden projection. He's really a small will for a 4-3 as he's only 230lbs, on the short side and doesn't have great read/react instincts to put him inside (nor the size to take on blockers). He can't play the outside because he's too small. Unless he also can learn the RILB spot, he doesn't really fit this defense.

A few positives though. First, we could move Brown around and on passing downs, you really wouldn't know if we were using him for coverage or to blitz. Ayers too. So maybe we limit Brown's exposure in run D on the inside (IF he's not ready for it) but use him more in stopping the passing game. Still, that's moving a lot of guys who havent played those positions.

Whether we go 3-4 or 4-3, I think we need to get a dominant pass rusher. Since this is a 3-4 thread let's say Brian Orakpo. Perhaps grab a Cody type LARGE body for NT to help Hill and Johnson and we should have plenty of beef. Then we should have enough pass rush to not drastically alter the personel too much and the guys who can play their positions the best play. If we do some speculating, we could see a D of...

RDE - Casey, Klug
    NT - Cody-type/Hill/ AJ
    LDE - Pit, Martin
    ROLB - Orakpo, Ayers
    RILB - Brown, Fokou
    LILB - Ayers, Fokou
    LOLB - Morgan, Ayers
    RCB - best of Coty, BRW, Campbell
    LCB - McCourty
    FS - Byrd or competition between Griff and Wilson
    SS - Polamalu or Pollard

OK, so I don't think they'd go after Byrd and Polamalu (who I think will get cut) but I would. Byrd and Orakpo would be expensive but worth it IMHO. If Polamalu gets cut, I'd love to bring him in to be a tempo setter and he usually makes a few big plays a game. Coming from a perennial top 10 D, I think we need to infuse that kind of attitude.

5. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Great post Gut, but...

@PaulKuharskyNFL
    #Titans Whisenhunt: 70 percent of game is in defensive subpackages. Have to have element of both, Won't be 3-4, 2-gap.

@terrymc13
    Whisenhunt said there is misconception between 4-3 and 3-4. 70% in sub-packages. Sounds like he will have a hybrid defense to begin with

@jwyattsports
    Whisenhunt said he'll have elements of 3-4 and 4-3 on defense #Titans

6. Rudad

Rudad Starter

Ray Horton released from browns.

7. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

Make it happen guys! We need horton!

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Rudad

Rudad Starter

I agree. Get Ray!!

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

For those who listened to the presser just now. It looks like we are running a hybrid D next year.

10. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

He's been a DC 3 years. His defenses have ranked:

Total D:
    2011: 18th
    2012: 12th
    2013: 9th

Scoring(Points allowed):
    2011: 17th
    2012: 17th
    2013: 23rd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar