2017 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Fry, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I’m saying it is a false sense of fairness.

2. Tuckfro42

How many have won it all? None.
    At least in basketball you can have a smaller school go on a run, despite talent and depth. The UCFs of the college football world might upset one team, but they aren’t winning multiple games against power 5 playoff teams. It’s really pointless to expand to include them.

3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Disagree. Even if they rarely upset a big conference team they play the game. As of now, no matter how goo the UCF's are, they're only playing for the Worthless Sun Chips bowl every year.

More to the point, if the CFP is only going to be limited to the Power 5 conferences, those teams need to play their 12 games against Power 5 teams only. Stop wasting the games against teams that don't matter.

4. Tuckfro42

So, you think regular season power 5 vs non power 5 games are useless, yet you want to expand the playoffs to include non power 5 teams? That makes a lot of sense.

What you are failing to realize is that all those teams who might as well be in the FCS, chose to go D1 FBS for the money. They knew they had no real shot a national championship, but they wanted the big boy money. They can drop down a tier any time they feel like the system is “unfair”

5. 8and8

8and8 Starter

I'd be for expanding to 8. All P5 winners plus the top G5 champion and two at large. Everyone gets a chance. Of course those two at large will always be heavily debated.

6. HurrayTitans!

No, I'm suggesting an either/or.

I get it. Everything about college football is about money, that's not a surprise to anyone.
    A) make more money with an expanded playoff (8 or 16)

Or

B) make the actual CFP legitimate by stopping the wasted games against non-Power 5 teams. Then we would have a much better idea of who really belongs in whatever playoff system exists.

7. Tuckfro42

I’m all in on “B”. Each team plays 10 regular season games. 8 Conference, 2 non conference. Keep conference championship games in place. Expand playoffs to 6 teams. #1 and #2 get a bye.

8. HurrayTitans!

Why not just 5 (each conf champ) and only #1 gets a bye?

I think they could still keep 11, +championship game, add 2-3 games for playoffs. Still at only 15 for any team not given a bye.

9. Tuckfro42

Because there are years where certain conference champs are not as good as team #2 in other conferences. Should be the “best” 6 teams. The debate is what makes the regular season matter. As much as people hate it, the debate is what drives the popularity of college football.

And the math doesn’t work with 5 teams.

10. HurrayTitans!

Right on the math. Durrr on me.

I think the debate helps and hurts. For example, big 10 fans probably will watch Clemson Bama in hopes Bama gets crushed (great ratings grab NCAA) but otherwise, probably don't care who wins and has no reason to watch.
    I'd say the same for every fan of a team not in the CFP.

The debate also doesnt stop with a playoff expansion, although I don't think it's quite as extreme in selection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar