2014 World Cup Of Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Hammer, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I'm not "assuming" they'll automatically be great.

I played over half my life- starting at age 5. I always had the athletic advantage on most in Middle TN.

I know for certain athleticism doesn't hurt you. Take a guy like Kendall Wright or a Desean Jackson and have them playing soccer their whole lives instead of football/basketball.... tell me the odds are against them being top notch in this country.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Deuce Wayne

Actually it merely takes playing both sports.

I'm assuming you've played neither of them.

I've played both.

Got hurt far more playing soccer than football. As most do. Ask people that've done both.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I have done both. Actually played soccer longer. Was hurt more in football though.

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

There is no connection. Of course being a good athlete helps you on the lower levels, where you can just use your speed to run by opponents - just like high school/college. But it also helps hiding your lack of technique and tactics. On professional levels (and I mean above MLS) it's just not gonna cut it. Scouting aren't based on athleticism in soccer. It helps, but if you ain't got technique and tactical understanding, you're not going anywhere. Just like you can't convert an olympic track star to NFL.
    Americans are too biased against measurements, because that's how your favorite sports are based. There only things listed are height, weight and preferred foot. 40 dashes, cone drills etc. are all irrelevant.

5. Smash

I was hurt more playing hockey. My skating skills, on a scale from 0-20, they are minus 5.

6. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

He ain't talkin convertin from one sport to another he talkin if they chose soccer from the beginning

7. Smash

I'm well aware of that.

What America will benefit from is the mass of talent. More people = more talents. And because you have a bigger economy with traditions for supporting sports, you have a great opportunity for creating talent schools and producing great players. US is 0% or 100%.

But being a great athlete does not make your chances of being a great soccer player bigger or smaller.

8. Deuce Wayne

Everything you're saying is taught...

Technique and all comes from playing the game. It's silly to think a naturally gifted athlete (meaning... great foot/eye coordination) wouldn't have an advantage.

You realize the Olympic track stars you mention aren't converted to NFL athletes because they haven't played as kids... right? The ones that have... yes, they do both with no issue. Look at college football/track stars. They're everywhere.

You're missing what I keep saying...

If they invested the time into soccer INSTEAD of those other sports... meaning... playing from age 5 til 18... yes. They'd undoubtedly be as good in soccer as they are in other sports.

9. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

wtf are you bein serious right now lol

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

played both, football is way more tough of a game and tough on the body than soccer. You are clueless as usual.

Actually I still have an ongoing injury from football to this day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar