2014 Depth Chart

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Lol that would make no sense to move Mccourty.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Upright7

Upright7 Special Teams Standout

It would make sense if you had some CB's to take his spot. Wouldn't you rather have a top 5 safety than a top 15 CB if you had reasonable replacements at CB? Just thinking out loud when I saw DMac rated at the top of the safety list.

3. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

I could see Vern moving to safety, but he's playing very well at corner and we really don't have replacements. Imagine Verns instincts taking over when he's not wholly responsible for one guy. That would be fun to watch.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First off, we gave up fewer passing TD's because we gave up FEWER big pass plays (mainly by having a S 20 yards deep down the middle AND because we gave up a lot of red zone TD's on the ground. Why throw it when you can run it. Much safer! Griff personally gave up 2 rushing TD's that I can think of.

But the bigger point is, why keep a guy YOU think is overpaid? He's not gonna get better and he'll only be getting paid more. It's not like Levitre who was considered the best OG FA so we took him. We knew Griff had regressed to a mediocre level for several years...and still rewarded him! I'm guessing he's one of the highest paid S's in the league...for what?

We've had this conversation about PFF and other fairly new sites which are based on people making arguments and their own rating system. I've shown that they are not very reliable because they can't be. Too much subjectivity and they can't even be too detailed in how they judge players and performance. So people wanna say this guy has a plus or minus rating, don't put too much stock into it.

Griff has been up and down all year...not just when we were losing. But even PFF puts him at #19 overall...which would be BELOW AVG! Do you wanna pay a BELOW AVG player top 5 money? I don't. He's the most inconsistent player in our secondary. Unfortunately, we have no good backup unless you put Wilson in there.

It's somewhat funny people calling for Stewart to be cut because he's making too much. Griff is making almost the same amount in 2014!!!

If we cut Griff before June 1, it costs us some cap but his full 6+mil is gone for the following seasons! If we cut him after June 1, we save cap in 2014 but carry some dead space into the following season. If we cut him after next season, we save a little cap space but only 1-2mil instead of the full 6+mil. Of course, if we cut him, we need someone to start at FS...

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Otto is a free agent so atm, you'd be looking at a 4th round rookie or Stingily? I think they will take an OT in first or second (unless they think Byron can get it done next year) or we trade back and pick up a third. There are a lot of good OT's in this draft...especially first 2 rounds so I think this would be a wise time to grab one. The alternative is of course, if a Brandon Albert were signed.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Unfortunately, this isn't Madden 25 where you can just drop a CB into a S spot and have them excel. Plus, a good CB is better then a good S so Verner or JMac aren't moving. Devin was moved because he was constantly getting toasted as a corner (after his first year). If Verner or JMac were poor at CB, then maybe they move, but not while they are playing well. And just because DMac is playing very well doesn't mean any corner being moved will too. So no, it's not a good idea to move players who are playing well at their position.

Now if you wanted to see about maybe Tommie Campbell playing FS...? Maybe. But he could also be in the mix for a starting slot next year if/when Verner leaves. Then again, we need more impact, more passion, and better tackling from our FS position.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Amongst all NFL offenses where does that starting offense rank next year? How many games could that offense win if the D was improved 3 starters (possibly with Griffin replacement to save money)?

I don't have an answer. Just something I'm thinking right now.

8. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

What about Blidi? I know we want to move to a more press D which imo is what we need to move to in order to play well in this league.

If Blidi takes over for McCourty we could be sitting well for our secondary. If of course McCourty is actually a good Safety. That I wouldn't be a good judge of.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You've created 2 positions of uncertainty where only one currently exists. We don't know how McCourty would be at FS and we don't know how good Blidi would be as a starting CB. Based on this season, Sensabaugh would get first crack (played nickel and had a good year) perhaps against Blidi (decent draft pick) and Campbell (biggest and perhaps most athletic and was neck and neck with Verner before Verner won the job).

Makes more sense to leave McCourty where he is, figure out if Verner stays or not (and decide if we can replace him with someone on the current roster or not), and then figure out FS and nickel (if Sensabaugh becomes a starter).

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

We actually have a damn talented offense from a skill position standpoint IMO. If we had a legit QB this offense could really be something special (along with better playcalling of course).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar