2012 Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by 24, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24

24 Starter

It's been discussed, but considering the importance of the position, I thought it deserved its own thread. Plus, everyone loves talking about QBs. Next year's QB draft class looks amazing. I know we say this every year, then as the draft comes around, two to three guys are dropped from the first round. Most don't even declare. However, even if we don't have the #1 pick, just picture choosing from this class. These are my preliminary rankings.

1. Andrew Luck
    2. Matt Barkley
    3. Landry Jones
    4. Kirk Cousins
    5. Ryan Lindley
    6. Nick Foles
    7. John Brantley
    8. Terrelle Pryor
    9. Tyler Wilson

I've watched film on Luck, Barkley, Jones, Foles, and Pryor. I've only watched YouTube clips on the others (except Wilson), so I can't really make any accurate judgments on them. IMO, only the first three will end up going in the first.

Basically, this thread is to discuss whether we should avoid drafting QB early this year, what your opinions are on these QBs, and how these QBs should be ranked.

2. pettso

pettso Starter

I'd be perfectly fine with not drafting a QB this year if we had some sort of plan in place other than bombing a season. Maybe Munchak has some faith in Rusty Smith? Get Palmer/McNabb? Bring back VY for the last year of his contract? I'd be cool with any of those... however if the plan is to build the defense and bring back Collins for another year I'd rather not wait.

The way I see it is we have 3 options.

1) Pick up a decent vet (Palmer/McNabb) and build the defense to make a legitimate run at the playoffs (I'm not crazy, I swear). Draft a QB with next year's 1st rounder.

2) Draft our next franchise QB with our 8th pick and never look back. Have him battle it out with Rusty for the starting spot and keep KFC to ride the bench just in case everything falls apart.

3) We think someone in round 2+ will be our future QB, in which case we do both (vet + defense) and start developing the rookie QB.

If we do anything other than one of those three things I'd be disappointed. Sitting around a waiting a year is not an option IMO.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

After Rusty Smith leads us to a super bowl win thew last thing anybody will be thinking about is another QB!

Ok let's be serious it is an interesting topic and it is a good crop.

Anybody who mentions us getting the first pick and taking Luck should be disemboweled like Braveheart.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If we have yet to draft a QB and Stanzi is still there at 3 we would be nuts not to take him.

With a 2nd or 3rd rd investment in a QB this year and with a young guy like Smith i doubt we would use our first rd pick in 2012 on one either.

I would take a chance on Pryor in rd 2 or 3.

5. 24

24 Starter

I think this is the best option. Draft someone in the second, and if he works out, that would be great. Otherwise, we can draft our franchise QB without giving up too much.

Exactly, we don't need the #1 pick next year to get someone good. The QB class is deep enough to get someone really good anywhere in the first 10 picks.

6. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

YOU PUT LUCK AHEAD OF PRYOR....ARE YOU CRAZY LOL:D:ha::ha::ha:

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Not drafting a QB at all is probably not an option (especially since free agency might not happen at all or might happen so late that a new QB could never learn the playbook). I assume you just mean not using an early pick on a QB.

8. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush 49er fan

Andrew Luck ftw!

9. XO

XO Nevada Native

The 2012 QB class doesn't look so hot in my opinion. Nobody that mind blowing outside of Luck.
    I think the Titans take a QB in the second or trade back into the late first to grab someone like Locker.

10. Courtesy Flush

Courtesy Flush 49er fan

This could change after watching him next season, but I really like what I've seen from Kellen Moore thus far and will watch a lot of his games this year. He has great instincts, he's very intelligent, he has decent footwork, and he is accurate.

The main concerns with him are his size (though Brees is about the same size) and the system he plays in. But, even though Boise does use a lot of 5wr sets, they also used a lot of power running plays and WCO-type routes. I don't see Pease changing the offense too much because it has been successful and he will likely try to retain consistency. Pease's offensive philosophy is typically a high-tempo, big play, attack type of offense, so it is likely Boise's offense will have a similar philosophy to last year, but I am hopeful that BSU integrates some more pro-style formations next year. The strongest and most consistent pieces to BSU's offense are Kellen Moore, Doug Martin, and the offensive line. They lost Titus Young and Austin Pettis and will have an inexperienced WR group so their most effective attack will be the running game and shorter passing game, which is why I think we could see some more pro-style formations. It may just be wishful thinking on my part though. Hopefully this happens so Moore gets experience in other formations and so we can evaluate him more accurately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar